Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
John S. Colton

Default getting good deals on riding lawn mowers

Hi, all,

I'm thinking about getting a riding lawn mower to help with my ~0.6
acre lawn. After reading a bunch of internet reviews, I'm thinking
about getting a John Deere L110 although it's a little pricier than I
was originally intending ($1500 max, original limit).

I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Will I will be able to get a much better deal than the list price
if I wait until the end of the season?

2. Should I be considering used mowers? And if so, any tips on how to
get a good deal? There are so many models/options available out
there, I feel no confidence in being able to accurately say how much I
should be paying for a used mower. (In particular, last week I saw a
~1987 Honda HT 3813, 2 cylinder, liquid cooled, with bagger
attachment, at a garage sale for $750. No idea how many HP or what the
cutting diameter was. Seemed to my amateur eye to be in good
condition. It may still be available, for that matter--would it be a
good deal.)

Thanks for any help,

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Larry

"John S. Colton" wrote in message
Hi, all,

I'm thinking about getting a riding lawn mower to help with my ~0.6
acre lawn. After reading a bunch of internet reviews, I'm thinking
about getting a John Deere L110 although it's a little pricier than I
was originally intending ($1500 max, original limit).

I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Will I will be able to get a much better deal than the list price
if I wait until the end of the season?

2. Should I be considering used mowers?

I bought a used JD SRX70 and absolutly LOVE IT.

It was advertised in the local paper and turned out to be located on the
next street over. He bought it two years before (about $1750) and she was
asking $750 after he passed on. It's been going strong for me now for over 5
seasons.

I went the 'used mower' route before and really don't like the 'unknown' and
possible 'nasty surprises' of going this route. What you usually find is
somebody elses problems.

My 2 cents.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 13-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Larry" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like good advice to me. I've bought a bunch of used mowers and even
though I service my own and have experience I still will only go bargain
price with a stranger and never top dollar, even from a "friend". And, BTW,
I've still gotten burned a time or two anyway. I would figure on spending
another hundred for fix-up after I got it - ya know, maybe a bearing, tie
rod end, belts, tire (slow leak), battery, blades, fuel filter, general tune
up, or whatever. But I would rather take a chance buying from a widow -
better chance that the reason to sell is not because the machine has a
problem.

There is a general guideline (not sure off the top) but something like -
mass market machines lose 1/2 thier value in 3 years and the better ones
take a few years longer.

Old 13-07-2004, 04:09 PM
John S. Colton

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:51:50 GMT, Srgnt Bilko wrote:

[snip]
Sounds like good advice to me. I've bought a bunch of used mowers and even
though I service my own and have experience I still will only go bargain
price with a stranger and never top dollar, even from a "friend". And, BTW,
I've still gotten burned a time or two anyway. I would figure on spending
another hundred for fix-up after I got it - ya know, maybe a bearing, tie
rod end, belts, tire (slow leak), battery, blades, fuel filter, general tune
up, or whatever. But I would rather take a chance buying from a widow -
better chance that the reason to sell is not because the machine has a
problem.

There is a general guideline (not sure off the top) but something like -
mass market machines lose 1/2 thier value in 3 years and the better ones
take a few years longer.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone know about my first question-- do places that sell mowers
discount their prices at the end of the season?

John

*****
Old 13-07-2004, 09:03 PM
RoyDMercer

"John S. Colton" wrote in message
Hi, all,

I'm thinking about getting a riding lawn mower to help with my ~0.6
acre lawn. After reading a bunch of internet reviews, I'm thinking
about getting a John Deere L110 although it's a little pricier than I
was originally intending ($1500 max, original limit).

One thing you should know is the John Deere 100 series is not up to par with
the standard residential line that John Deere's quality is known for. It's
basically a model designed to be sold at places like Home Depot to compete
with the cheaper Cub Cadets and Toros being sold at places like Lowe's.
This is not to say the 100 series won't last you for many years, because it
is still a very nice mower that is far superior to off-brand riders in the
$1000 range. The L110 is definitely worth the money. I bought my Snapper
just a few years ago for $2200 before Home Depot and Lowes started selling
the Cub Cadets, Toros, and John Deeres in the $1500 range. If I had it to
do all over again today, I would definitely be looking very closely at the
100 series Deeres at Home Depot.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Will I will be able to get a much better deal than the list price
if I wait until the end of the season?

Maybe, you never know what Home Depot is going to do with sales, however the
new John Deeres seem to be selling quite well so I doubt they will be
dicounting them much, if any. Sometimes if you're lucky you can catch a
display and/or discontinued model at the end of the season but these usually
don't last long.

2. Should I be considering used mowers? And if so, any tips on how to
get a good deal? There are so many models/options available out
there, I feel no confidence in being able to accurately say how much I
should be paying for a used mower. (In particular, last week I saw a
~1987 Honda HT 3813, 2 cylinder, liquid cooled, with bagger
attachment, at a garage sale for $750. No idea how many HP or what the
cutting diameter was. Seemed to my amateur eye to be in good
condition. It may still be available, for that matter--would it be a
good deal.)

I've always stayed away from used mowers. The seller is obviously selling
the mower for a reason, and if you don't know the seller you won't know what
that reason is. Some people sell mowers because they've moved and their
mowing needs change, but some people sell them because they have mechanical
problems that might take you a few days to discover. $750 for a mower that
is 17 years old seems a bit steep for me. The Honda deck and frame are
build to last many years, but you might be looking at an engine overhaul or
replacement that can bring a used mower close to the price of a new one.

If you want to save a bit of money, you might look at mowers with a 38"
deck. My lawn is about the same size as yours and I have a 38" rider. I
spend most of my time going around trees, shrubs, and flower beds so the 38"
works very well for me. However, if you don't have many obstacles and don't
plan to add any, you may want the 42".

Old 13-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Ned

"RoyDMercer" wrote

One thing you should know is the John Deere 100 series is not up to par

with
the standard residential line that John Deere's quality is known for.

It's
basically a model designed to be sold at places like Home Depot to compete
with the cheaper Cub Cadets and Toros being sold at places like Lowe's.

You're correct on this. I work for JD, we do not get an employee discount
on this model. They discourage us from purchasing through HD/Lowes and the
kind.

For any of the manufacturers having their less than standard equipment in
these places, it's kind of a catch 22 situation. The end user never
realizes the true quality of the manufacturer, which can lead the consumer
away from their product ever again.

riding lawn mowers [email protected] Gardening 6 23-01-2006 12:50 AM
Good deals on seeds Nate Lawns 2 12-05-2005 05:26 AM
old John Deere models (was getting good deals on riding lawn mowers) John S. Colton Lawns 2 14-07-2004 01:05 AM
Riding Lawn Mowers stevey Lawns 18 11-07-2004 07:10 PM
Riding mowers Pat Keith Lawns 4 27-03-2003 01:32 AM