Old 13-07-2004, 11:06 PM
John S. Colton

Default old John Deere models (was getting good deals on riding lawn mowers)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:38:41 -0500, RoyDMercer wrote:

One thing you should know is the John Deere 100 series is not up to par with
the standard residential line that John Deere's quality is known for. It's
basically a model designed to be sold at places like Home Depot to compete
with the cheaper Cub Cadets and Toros being sold at places like Lowe's.
This is not to say the 100 series won't last you for many years, because it
is still a very nice mower that is far superior to off-brand riders in the
$1000 range. The L110 is definitely worth the money.

[snip]

Thanks for the additional info.

Now that you've brought it up, let me ask a couple of additional
questions about John Deere models. My local John Deere store has a
number of used mowers for sale, but since the model numbers are
outdated, I can't find any info on them at all from the J.D. website.
So I don't have any idea how good the models might be--whether they
are very high quality mowers, or cheaper (but presumably still fairly
good) ones like the 100 series.

Here are some of the used ones they've got in my price range:

unknown year, model 175, $1500
unknown year, model 185, $600
1999 LT155, $1690
unknown year, LT155, $1399
2000 LT155, $1800
1998 LT133, $700
unknown year, LX172, $1495
unknown year, LX173, $1500
1991 LX 176, $950
1997 LX176, $1625
unknown year, LX176, $1299
1998 LX178, $1600
unknown year, LX180, $550
2000 Sabre, $950
2000 Sabre 2046, $1350

If anyone can shed light on these particular Sabre, LT, or LX series
models, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I assume it'd be safer buying a used one from a dealer than from a
classified ad. Taking a $1800 L110 as a baseline for comparison would
any of these $1500-1800 used models be something I ought to give
serious consideration to?

Thanks again,

John

*****
John's newsgroup motto:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger." --Prov. 15:1
*****
Old 14-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"John S. Colton" wrote in message
[...]

Not from personal experience - but my nephew (a mechanic who I partner with)
laughs at his father-in-laws Sabre.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Steveo

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:
laughs at his father-in-laws Sabre.

Hey, them Buicks were nice.

getting good deals on riding lawn mowers John S. Colton Lawns 5 13-07-2004 11:07 PM
John Deere riding mowers Dave Lawns 10 20-02-2004 04:12 PM
John Deere riding mowers Dave Lawns 0 20-02-2004 11:49 AM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! Dr. Doctor Lawns 1 28-03-2003 10:32 PM