Old 20-07-2004, 05:05 AM

Default Need advice on lawn tractors (Deere vs Snapper)

I going to be purchasing a new lawn tractor in the next couple of
weeks & would appreciate any advice and comments..

I'm looking at the following mowers

John Deere L120 (20hp B&S) for $2100.00
John Deere L130 (23hp Kohler) for $2400.00
Snapper LT200H (20hp B&S) for $3300.00
All are hydrostatic w/48" mowing decks.

My yard is about 1 1/2 acres,pretty level with
only a couple of uneven spots.

I understand the John Deere L series use to be
sold as Sabre but since the model change that
JD had made improvements in the mowers & that
they had better transmissions now..

Anybody have any experience with these mower?
Is the Snapper worth that much more money?

I prefer to stay under $2500 unless there is a big
difference in quality..

Thanks in advance for any input..

Old 20-07-2004, 05:05 AM
RoyDMercer

wrote in message
I going to be purchasing a new lawn tractor in the next couple of
weeks & would appreciate any advice and comments..

I'm looking at the following mowers

John Deere L120 (20hp B&S) for $2100.00
John Deere L130 (23hp Kohler) for $2400.00
Snapper LT200H (20hp B&S) for $3300.00
All are hydrostatic w/48" mowing decks.

My yard is about 1 1/2 acres,pretty level with
only a couple of uneven spots.

I understand the John Deere L series use to be
sold as Sabre but since the model change that
JD had made improvements in the mowers & that
they had better transmissions now..

Anybody have any experience with these mower?
Is the Snapper worth that much more money?

I prefer to stay under $2500 unless there is a big
difference in quality..

Thanks in advance for any input..

I have the smaller LE series Snapper with a 38" deck and hydrostatic
transmission. I've had it for about 3 years now and it works flawlessly.
The transmission is very smooth and easy to operate. The deck is
outstanding and the mulching system does a great job. The engine has a cast
iron sleeve (which most all do today) and grease zerts on all the critical
joints and bearings. Snapper is known for their solid construction and not
for a bunch of gimmicky features. As long as I mow as often as I should
(which I do), the lawn looks as if it has been bagged which is the true
measure of any mulching system. I've looked at the 100 series Deeres and
just from my observations, they are not up to par with the regular Deeres
which you can only find at John Deere dealers. This doesn't mean the 100
series mowers are poor quality, it's just that the regular Deeres are of
commercial quality and the price reflects that. What mower you should get
really depends more on what you'll be mowing. I have a 1/2 acre lawn with
many obstacles. My lawn is very smooth and level. For my needs, my 38"
Snapper works very well and will serve me for many years to come. If you
have 2-3 acres or more of lawn and rough terrain to go over, you really need
to shell out some big bucks for a commercial quality mower if you don't want
to be constantly repairing and/or replacing.

John Deere lawn tractors Ed Lawns 6 04-03-2006 08:52 PM
John Deere lawn tractors Ed Gardening 1 04-03-2006 04:32 PM
need a deck for a 300 series john deere lawn tractor yheti Lawns 0 14-10-2005 05:42 AM
lawn tractor advice, please - john deere 111 bb2004 Lawns 1 22-09-2004 05:25 PM
need chute and hardware for snapper pma7360 hermanmunster Lawns 0 13-05-2004 05:03 PM