Old 23-07-2004, 03:04 PM

Default I Can't turn off my ceiling fan

I have a Hunter-Douglas (Home Depot) ceiling fan in my office.

It has one of those chain "puller" switches to adjust the speed and to
turn it on or off. As I was turning on the fan, the chain pulled out
and now I can't turn the fan off. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

--
Please post and reply to
Old 23-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Charlie Bress

wrote in message

I have a Hunter-Douglas (Home Depot) ceiling fan in my office.

It has one of those chain "puller" switches to adjust the speed and to
turn it on or off. As I was turning on the fan, the chain pulled out
and now I can't turn the fan off. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

--
Please post and reply to

No controlling wall switch? Start flipping off circuit breakers until you
find the right one.

Old 23-07-2004, 06:04 PM

better yet... get a remote control set for it. Ingrid

wrote in message

I have a Hunter-Douglas (Home Depot) ceiling fan in my office.

It has one of those chain "puller" switches to adjust the speed and to
turn it on or off. As I was turning on the fan, the chain pulled out
and now I can't turn the fan off. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

--
Please post and reply to

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Gary

It's been my experience that mechanical things just work better if you
periodically kick the living sh*t out of them. In this case, it may
not be practical to kick the offending machine, unless you have a very
high kick, or a very low ceiling. My advice would be to jump up and
hang onto the damned thing until you and it come crashing to the
floor. From there, you can easily get a foot, hand, or sledge hammer
on it to reduce it to a multitude of minute pieces, which can then
easily be scooped up and placed in the dustbin. Then go out to Wally
World and get yourself a $9.99 portable, oscillating fan that will
faithfully run longer than your grandchildren will be on this earth.
Another chapter in the "Life Sucks When Things Don't Work" book,
huh!!!

Gary
Old 24-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Carlock

:-) Put your mouth up to it and do the Ahghghghghgh sound into it.
You'll get a nice tremolo effect. Reminds me of when I was a kid
and made that sound while someone pounded on my back.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

Old 24-07-2004, 09:03 PM
GFRfan

Douglas E. wrote:
Sounds like you haven't grown up.

Who wants to grow up???

Old 26-07-2004, 01:03 AM
zxcvbob

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of the *old* Robert Klein skit
where he's playing blues harp and singing "I Can't Stop My Leg"

Thanks, :-)
Bob
Old 29-07-2004, 03:11 PM
TimR

GFRfan wrote in message news:x0yMc.21707$eM2.1485@attbi_s51...

sytech.at.oohay.moc wrote:

I have a Hunter-Douglas (Home Depot) ceiling fan in my office.

It has one of those chain "puller" switches to adjust the speed and to
turn it on or off. As I was turning on the fan, the chain pulled out
and now I can't turn the fan off. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

When you go to Home Depot and buy the replacement fan switch, you're
going to notice it has several wires.

They are different colors.

I do not know what colors they are because I am color blind. The
result is that my ceiling fan does not go High, then Medium, then Low
like most. It goes High, Low, Medium. If you know what the chances
are of that combination, you are way too good at math.

PS it is good to turn the power off before changing the switch.
Especially if you have kids. When they hear cuss words they repeat
them to Mommy. Don't ask me how I know this.

smiley
Old 29-07-2004, 08:58 PM

I've made some progress!!!. I was able to attach those other 2 wires
to the switch and now I have high, medium, low but no "off". When I
"hold" the chain after "low" I can hear the motor stop, but as soon as
I let it go it starts to run again.

Any advice?

Ceiling fan in gh? K Barrett Orchids 0 28-11-2004 08:08 PM
I Can't turn off my ceiling fan Charlie Bress Gardening 49 01-08-2004 11:39 AM
can you substitute 10-30 fo 10w in a ceiling fan? Jon and Cindy Lawns 2 26-07-2004 07:02 AM
Can't turn off my ceiling fan Lawns 4 23-07-2004 08:02 PM
I Can't turn off my ceiling fan Gardening 0 23-07-2004 02:25 PM