GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   flourescent lights (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/80457-flourescent-lights.html)

tony 28-07-2004 04:04 PM

flourescent lights

Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48"
flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same
time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to
work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?

tia

GFRfan 28-07-2004 04:05 PM

flourescent lights

tony wrote:
Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48"
flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same
time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to
work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?

tia

Replace the ballast.

GFRfan 28-07-2004 04:05 PM

flourescent lights

GFRfan wrote:

tony wrote:

Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48"
flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same
time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to
work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?

tia

Replace the ballast.

Here's a bit 'o science.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp.htm

RoyDMercer 28-07-2004 10:45 PM

flourescent lights

"GFRfan" wrote in message
tony wrote:
Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48"
flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same
time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to
work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?

tia

Replace the ballast.

Unless it's an expensive fixture, it will probably be more economical to
replace the entire fixture rather than just replacing the ballast.

James Nipper 28-07-2004 11:20 PM

flourescent lights

Take the ballast out, take it to Lowe's or Home Depot, and see if they have
a replacement, and check the price. They have most all of the more common
ones. Some are pretty cheap.

As another chap said, you can also check the price of the entire fixture,
but that mgiht be a bit more work.

--James--

GFRfan 29-07-2004 12:38 AM

flourescent lights

tony wrote:

Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48"
flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same
time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to
work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?

tia

Replace the ballast.

Unless it's an expensive fixture, it will probably be more economical to
replace the entire fixture rather than just replacing the ballast.

true except for the amount of labor involved.

Tom 30-07-2004 12:11 AM

flourescent lights

Check the ground to the fixture. Fluorescent light fixtures require a
ground.

RoyDMercer 30-07-2004 05:35 AM

flourescent lights

"Tom" wrote in message
Check the ground to the fixture. Fluorescent light fixtures require a
ground.

Some fluorescent fixtures do require a ground, however if the ground is not
present the fixture will still work. It will just take longer to start.
Lack of a ground will not cause the fixture to stop working altogether.