GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/81927-runner-beans.html)

Ron Hagley 18-08-2004 11:20 AM

Runner beans

Hi,

This year and last year my runner beans (aka Pole beans) have been a flop.
Very little flower and hence little produce. Any ideas?
Previously grown in same plot and highly successful, plenty of water
automatic in UK where we get so much rain but supplemented by auto
irrigation ) I have noticed sparrows on the canes - could they be eating the
flowers?

Thanks

Ron

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned by AVG and is certified Virus Free.

Larry 18-08-2004 04:23 PM

"Ron Hagley" wrote in message
Hi,

This year and last year my runner beans (aka Pole beans) have been a flop.
Very little flower and hence little produce. Any ideas?
Previously grown in same plot and highly successful, plenty of water
automatic in UK where we get so much rain but supplemented by auto
irrigation ) I have noticed sparrows on the canes - could they be eating

the
flowers?

Yes. I've noticed that here in Puget Sound with my fruit trees. The 10 days
or so while in bloom is critical- sometimes a heavy wind or rain will knock
the flowers off and there will be little or no fruit later that season.

I'd put up a few shiny streamers or whirlygigs to scare the birds away.