GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oak Tree dying (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/82669-oak-tree-dying.html)

Malam 30-08-2004 11:47 PM

Oak Tree dying

I have an oak tree at the back of my house that is dying. Each year a
couple of branches are drying up. What can I do to save this tree?

Thanks.

Steveo 31-08-2004 01:04 AM

Malam wrote:
I have an oak tree at the back of my house that is dying. Each year a
couple of branches are drying up. What can I do to save this tree?

Thanks.

Without seeing it, I'd suggest cutting it way back this winter.

ymmv

William W. Plummer 31-08-2004 01:30 AM

Malam wrote:

I have an oak tree at the back of my house that is dying. Each year a
couple of branches are drying up. What can I do to save this tree?

Thanks.

I think you sould call a competent, degreed, licensed arborist in your
area. Pay a few bucks and get a professional opinion. Note that
removing a large tree will probably cost $500, so saving it might be
cheaper.

None 31-08-2004 05:17 PM

Do not cut it way back. Oak trees may be killed if you take more than 1/3 of
it. You need to find out why the limbs are dying, is it diseased by fungus
or a virus or does it have an infestation of bugs.

Contact an licensed arborist!

[email protected] 31-08-2004 05:38 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:47:51 -0400, Malam
wrote:

I have an oak tree at the back of my house that is dying. Each year a
couple of branches are drying up. What can I do to save this tree?

Thanks.

I moved into a house with a sick maple out front, and my neighbors
have sick trees infront of their houses too. It was told to me that
a tree 'renews' each year, laying down a new layer of living tissue,
and letting last years 'die'. If you can help the tree live long
enough, it can outgrow a mild illness, or damage.

So, I've put down tree spikes 2-3 times a year to help the tree get
past these problems. Now into the second year, the dead branches fall
when it rains, but there has been much new growth. Eventhough it will
be mishappend for a very long time, it looks like each year it gets
'greener'

BTW, there were three other sick trees accross the street, they are
gone now, and the remain sick trees look worse now. My neighbors
actually asked what was my secret. ;)

later,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***************
Our Newest Site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com (Medical Staffing)

RoyDMercer 03-09-2004 02:21 PM

"Malam" wrote in message
I have an oak tree at the back of my house that is dying. Each year a
couple of branches are drying up. What can I do to save this tree?

Depending on where you live, there is a good chance the tree has a disease
called oak wilt. If the tree is in the advanced stages, it will have to be
removed before it infects other trees. If you have other oak trees that
share root space, you need to call an arborist immediately. This disease
can spread rapidly through root grafts and can wipe out large sections of
oak trees. It's also spread by beetles.