Old 08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Wyatt Wright

Default Lawn Tractors/Mowers

I'm in the market for a new riding mower/lawn tractor. I mow about
3/4 acre of grass in a flat yard with few obstacles. The only thing
that I will do with this mower is cut grass and pick up leaves in the
fall. I may buy an airator in the future and possible a cart, but
that's it.

I may buy a cheaper model from a box store, but prefer to go with
something a little better built from a dealer that can service and
repair the unit in the future. For me, that means Toro or John Deere
- I'm not sure if there is a Cub Cadet or Simplicity dealer in my
area. I know many people love their Deere's, but I'm not sure that I
want to spend the $$ to get into the LT series and am unsure of the L
series' quality and general "Deereness". The Deere dealer told me
that the biggest issue with the L series is that the front axles need
to be greased frequently. Considering that I can get an L110 with 42"
cut and a 17.5 hp kohler for $1800, and a LT150 with a 15hp engine and
38" for $2500, greasing the front axle everytime I add gas doesn't
seem like that much of an issue. I would appreciate other's opinions.

I don't see many people posting their opinions or experiences with
Toro riders. I have worked with the dealer near me and have been
satisfied with his service. The only model that he carries in my
price range is the 16-38HXL. It is on sale for $1900 right now.

This is from the Toro website:
http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/xl/1638h.html

Please advise.

~ Wyatt
Old 08-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Wyatt Wright" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I wouldn't hesitate going with the L110 - greasing is not a big problem -
first thing in the spring and last thing in the fall should do it unless you
start to mow neighbors yards or brush hog with the it. I like Kohler
engines and the 42" deck better than the 38". I would assume the local JD
dealer sets them up and services them for the box store but you might want
to confirm this since it is not a sure thing. No big deal if it is some
other good service outfit.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Bill Schnakenberg

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , wyattwrigh=

(Wyatt Wright) wrote:
=20

I'm in the market for a new riding mower/lawn tractor. I mow about
3/4 acre of grass in a flat yard with few obstacles. The only thing
that I will do with this mower is cut grass and pick up leaves in the
fall. I may buy an airator in the future and possible a cart, but
that's it.

I may buy a cheaper model from a box store, but prefer to go with
something a little better built from a dealer that can service and
repair the unit in the future. For me, that means Toro or John Deere
- I'm not sure if there is a Cub Cadet or Simplicity dealer in my
area. I know many people love their Deere's, but I'm not sure that I
want to spend the $$ [...]
=20

Three-quarters of an acre will wear out one of the box-store riding mowe=

rs in=20
only a few years. Those things are *not* built for extensive use. So you=

're=20
right to be looking at Toro or John Deere.
=20

BS. My cheap ass ($1600), 18hp B&S, 42" 3 bladed mower, Agway bought,=20
Murray built, garden tractor/mower has been running for over 10 years=20
and I have a 1 acre plot of land ( minus buildings, pool, and driveway). =

In the spring, and wet summers, I have to mow twice a week. My land is=20
not flat, and I climb 30=BA slopes on both sides of my driveway.=20
Additionally, the tractor serves as a platform for an attached 48" snow=20
blower, and is used throughout the winter, cleaning my 100', 2 lane=20
driveway, plus 3 neighbor's driveways. I live in NY.

But they *are* pretty pricey.

Have you considered buying a used JD model from a JD dealer? That's what=

I did=20
a few years ago when my MTD bit the dust. Paid less for a used JD than I=

would=20
have for a new MTD, and it's held up pretty well -- still has a few more=

years=20
of life left in it, I'm sure.
=20

Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Bill B

Wyatt Wright wrote:

[...]

3/4 acre is a nothin'. I mow 5 acres, sometimes with meadow grass, with
Craftsman mowers from Sears. The first one I had was an 18hp Kohler
which blew a rear seal from excessive blow-by after 12 years----I rode
that baby hard and sometimes put her away wet. I replaced it with a
Craftsman with a 22hp Briggs and it seems to work better than the old
one ever did-----I went from a three blade deck to a two blade deck and
the cut looks a lot better. For a winter project I may overhaul the old
Kohler. For what you want to do I think your present choice of mower is
going to cost you an extra $1000. A lot of the newer Cub and JD stuff
is made with a lot of the same parts as MTD and Craftsman----you're
going to pay a lot for that Yellow or Green paint. Sears parts are both
available and reasonable in cost, not very hard to fix.

Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 PM
cb

Just a question to the group - does anyone use the rototiller option wit
their tractor? We'd like to invest in the tractor/mower, snowblower and
rototiller - don't really want 3 machines to house!

Thanks
Cathy

Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Bill B" wrote in message
Wyatt Wright wrote:

[...]

Not yet - but I always have my eye open for a deal - that would be something
I couldn't pass up at the right price.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Doug Miller

In article , Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Three-quarters of an acre will wear out one of the box-store riding mowe=

rs in=20
only a few years. Those things are *not* built for extensive use. So you=

're=20
right to be looking at Toro or John Deere.
=20

BS. My cheap ass ($1600),

Speaking of BS, by what definition is sixteen hundred bucks a "cheap ass"
riding mower?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Bill Schnakenberg

Doug Miller wrote:

Three-quarters of an acre will wear out one of the box-store riding mowe=

rs in=20

only a few years. Those things are *not* built for extensive use. So you=

're=20

right to be looking at Toro or John Deere.
=20

BS. My cheap ass ($1600),

Speaking of BS, by what definition is sixteen hundred bucks a "cheap ass"
riding mower?

You mispled Garden Tractor.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:11 PM

Been using a 1994 Sears $895 44 inch on my 3/4 acre, all grass without any
problems, except replacing the battery $44

10 years without a hitch
I expect at least another 8 out of 'er

Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 PM
SVTKate

We mow about 6 of our ten + acres.
Three or four of those six we use the bush hog on, the remainder we use our
Husqvarna.
We bought it from the "Husky" dealer rather than a home store so it cost a
little more. It has a Kawasaki 22hp engine and a 48" cut.

I just love my Husky! In particular I like the way the hydroglide
transmission works. No notches to change from gear to gear, it just slides
giving a very wide range of speeds and the ability to slow down in a hurry
when you need to. The controls seem to be a bit more ergonomic than the
others did. I suggest you try whatever you are looking at out. Drive a few
of them at the dealership before you buy. See that it fits, if you like the
location of the controls, what accessories are available and so on.

Though you are thinking you may only use it to mow, I would like to offer
this suggestion. Think of buying a pull behind cart for it. I bought a two
wheel dump cart for mine and OMG it is the handiest thing! Now I use my
Husky to haul garden debris to the mulch pile, brush from under the trees,
rocks, soil, fallen branches... the list goes on and on. I even haul a push
mower, weed eater, rakes and shovels a couple of chairs and a water jug in
that little trailer when it's time to go clear weeds down by the pond. It's
one of the best $100 bills I have ever spent. Actually... I told my Hubby,
"This is what I want for my birthday".... he's a good listener ;ŹD

Hope you find something great!

Kate

Old 09-09-2004, 12:36 PM
SVTKate

I suppose THAT would depend on your perspective.
Bigger deck, more HP, better features... it is more along the mid range for
home use lawn tractors.
I paid $2700 for my Husky this spring. 22 hp, 48"deck, three cutting blades,
hydroglide tranny and a damn fine beer holder.

I suppose if you were determined to prove the point, you could compare the
$1200 bucks to the cost of a Kubota 4x4 lawn tractor weighing in at around
$7000 - $9000. Or maybe a zero turn mower.....

So, $1200 would be considered somewhat "cheap" in the world of mowers, lower
HP, smaller deck, less features. Something like the KIA of the lawnmower
set. BUT that depends on your needs and desires.

Personally, I need the power, and I want all that I can get. Next time, I AM
going to buy that Kubota. When the Husky wears out that is.

Kate

Old 09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
SVTKate

"Bill Schnakenberg" wrote |

| You mispled Garden Tractor.

You funny!

Kate

Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
SVTKate

The Biggest Sears lawn tractor is identical to the Husky, only more
expensive by a coule of hundred bucks in my area.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:41 PM
SVTKate

"cb" wrote in message
| Just a question to the group - does anyone use the rototiller option wit
| their tractor? We'd like to invest in the tractor/mower, snowblower and
| rototiller - don't really want 3 machines to house!
|
| Thanks
| Cathy

That's something I would like to see, sounds like a great idea.

Kate