Old 18-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Steve

Default Uneven grass

After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such that after a
couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the problem seems to
be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably different rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow straight up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow it regularly
every week (which I do)?

Old 18-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Larry

"Steve" wrote in message
After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such that after

couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the problem seems

be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably different

rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow straight

up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow it

regularly
every week (which I do)?

I'd mow one direction and then mow again from the other direction. I'd also
see if you can get a 'high lift' blade for your mower.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 18-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Larry

"Steve" wrote in message
Larry, thanks for the info. What does a high lift blade do?

In my case it sucks up leaves better and allows me to mow when the grass is
'wetter' than I could with a regular blade.

In your case I think it will tend to 'lift and separate' (sounds like a
cross-your-heart commercial) the grass blades for a more even cut.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 18-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Steveo

"Steve" wrote:
Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow it
regularly every week (which I do)?

Cut it twice a week.

Old 18-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Dan Hartung

Steve wrote:
After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such that after a
couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the problem seems to
be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably different rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow straight up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow it regularly
every week (which I do)?

Grass will grow unevenly no matter what, but it sounds like you may have
different patches with different varieties. If you overseed this fall
and next, you may be able to get the lawn to have a more even
distribution of the different grasses.

Some attention to fertilization and drainage may also help, as may
top-dressing. It's possible that parts of the lawn are just not as
fertile as parts right next door, and gradually amending the soil could
help this. Filling low spots will ensure that they don't collect water
(or all your grass seed, or fertilizer), which can affect lawn health.

One thing to try is mowing a little higher. It may be that some of your
lawn is stressed and cutting it back means it has a hard time returning
to growing at full strength. A higher mowing height will improve the
situation.
Old 18-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Chet Hayes

"Larry" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message
Larry, thanks for the info. What does a high lift blade do?

In my case it sucks up leaves better and allows me to mow when the grass is
'wetter' than I could with a regular blade.

In your case I think it will tend to 'lift and separate' (sounds like a
cross-your-heart commercial) the grass blades for a more even cut.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

It sounds as if the real problem here could be different varieties of
grass in different areas of the lawn. If you have a fast, high
growing grass like tall fescue in one area, and a lower, slow growing
variety in another, it will never look the same. If that is the
problem, either overseeding with the faster growing grass, or killing
the whole thing and reseeding are the solutions.
Old 18-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Peter H

Steve wrote:

After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such that after a
couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the problem seems to
be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably different rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow straight up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow it regularly
every week (which I do)?

Sounds like creeping bentgrass is infiltrating your lawn. It's a hassle
to deal with. Do you live in the northern US or Canada?

Peter H
Old 20-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Bob

"Steve" wrote in message
After I mow my lawn, the grass seems to grow back unevenly such

that after a
couple days, it looks a bit shaggy and unkempt. Part of the

problem seems to
be that different portions of the grass grow at remarkably

different rates.
Part of the problem is that all the grass doesn't seem to grow

straight up;
rather, some of it tends to be matted down so that if I rake it

after
mowing, portions of it stick up like a bad haircut. Other than

this, the
lawn is in pretty decent shape.

Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to actually look like I mow

it regularly
every week (which I do)?

My experience is that many mowers do not lift the grass as they
cut. Thus, the grass lays over and grows horizontally. You can
rake these areas with a metal leaf rake with a circular lifting
motion, and stand the grass stems up. Cutting them then will
remove the long stem, and a couple months of fall growth should
have it looking good again. There are "thatchers" that lift the
grass with wire tines, as opposed to the ones that slice the
thatch. If you can find one of these to rent, use it to stand the
grass up, then mow, to make an easier job of it.Hi lift mowers,
such as the snapper, wil produce less of this problem. Regular
raking helps a lot. Mowing in different directions helps.

Bob