GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yellow Jackets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/83913-yellow-jackets.html)

mow 25-09-2004 03:06 PM

M&K wrote:
The northwest corner of our roof has a yellow jacket nest underneath a flaw
in the shingles, which I plan to fix once I get rid of the bugs. These are
the variety that like to buzz around garbage cans and such. I bought a trap
and hung it right next to the nest. The phermone lure didn't interest them,
neither did Pepsi. One thing that did work was the slime from the bottom of
my garbage can. But there wasn't enough of that to last. I did find that
dark corn syrup was somewhat attractive.

I've used two cans of insecticide on this nest, which put them back some,
and I want to get rid of it so I can fix my roof before it gets cold. But
the lil *******s are stubborn. What is irresistable to these buggers? I want
to make the inside of the trap black with bugs.

Thanks

If you can put some seven dust at the entrance of there hole. They will track it
to the hive and kill everything or make them move.

Oscar_Lives 29-09-2004 02:49 AM

"Ginger" wrote in message
Give apple juice a try - I've had good luck with it.

It gives me bad diarrhea!

fatowl 14-10-2004 04:51 AM

While picnicing we put a small peice of red meat in a jar with a hole in the
lid. The taller the jar the better it works. It seems that they can't
remeber the way out. I was told that I should have put a liitle soapy water
in it to drown when they got tired, but I just wanted them to leave my
sandwich alone.

USENET READER 06-01-2005 07:38 PM

I also have some wasps or yellow jackets under the edge of the roof of
my house and they are under the siding and the soffits. I am planning to
remove the siding and soffits but want to make sure that they are not
gonna sting me.

Now that it is January and it's supposed to be cold (it's been in the
mid 70's for a high lately), I wonder if the little buggers are alive
and would they sting me when I start to pull siding off the house?

Should I spray at their access points or perhaps up in the attic near
their nest(s)?

What should I spray with that is currently available for sale at home
and garden centers - not something that is no longer available for sale?

M&K wrote:
Thanks to everyone on the spraying, but the nest is in a VERY inaccessible
place. I am mainly trying to trap tham and am looking for something
irresistable to put in the trap.

USENET READER 07-01-2005 07:35 PM

actually you ****ng dumbass, I am highly allergic to their venom. So how
about shutting the **** up and only respond when you have something
really informative that is on point with my original question?

Steveo 07-01-2005 10:09 PM

Oscar_Lives wrote:
Oh you pussy! Are you afraid of the little furry buggies????

Pay no attention to Oscar lives/brains' dead. Your biggest obstacle is
getting the control product to the target, by the sound of it.

How many days till you plan on disturbing them?

Steveo 08-01-2005 06:36 AM

USENET READER wrote:
not sure when I will start working on the siding - just looking for an
easy to find product that I can spray on them.

Any organophosphate, or if you can't find that use Sevin. (EC's in any
case)

Be careful where the over-spray/runoff goes. If you do that a week or so
before you stir them, you will have limited the bite potential quite a lot.