Old 01-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Merle O'Broham

Default advice on lawn seeding

Hi all,

I have an older home with several types of grass types growing
together. I don't know what the species of the grasses are, but there
are at least 4-5 different types growing to make one generally green
happy multicultural lawn (each grass in their own little neighborhood-
ha). Most of the lawn is in shade throughout the day, except for a few
patches getting a couple hours of direct sun around mid-day.

I'd like to start core-aerating and seeding annually with the same
type of seed. Any recommendations for seed-type/brand name or other
advice? I'd LOVE to pull it all up and start over, but I've got ~12k
sq. ft. or so. Definitely doing some groundcover in the dry, shady
parts.

Forgot- Chicago, zone 5.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:18 AM
DaveL

Merle O'Broham wrote:

I'd like to start core-aerating and seeding annually with the same
type of seed.

Forgot- Chicago, zone 5.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawncha.../lesson1c.html might be of
some help.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Peter H

Merle O'Broham wrote:

Hi all,

I have an older home with several types of grass types growing
together. I don't know what the species of the grasses are, but there
are at least 4-5 different types growing to make one generally green
happy multicultural lawn (each grass in their own little neighborhood-
ha). Most of the lawn is in shade throughout the day, except for a few
patches getting a couple hours of direct sun around mid-day.

I'd like to start core-aerating and seeding annually with the same
type of seed. Any recommendations for seed-type/brand name or other
advice? I'd LOVE to pull it all up and start over, but I've got ~12k
sq. ft. or so. Definitely doing some groundcover in the dry, shady
parts.

Forgot- Chicago, zone 5.

You wouldn't actually need to pull it up of course. Just wack it with
Round-up.

Peter H
Old 04-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Chet Hayes

Peter H wrote in message ...
Merle O'Broham wrote:

[...]

Isn't it getting too late to be seeding now in the Chicago area
anyway? I would certainly think it's past optimal for this year now.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Merle O'Broham

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message om...
Peter H wrote in message ...
Merle O'Broham wrote:

[...]

Yep, probably past optimal. The dog days are definitely over but it's
just this past week that day temps are dropping to the 50's and 60's.
Throwing some seed down is so cheap that if just a little takes then
it's worth it. Worse comes to worse then the birdies get some free
lunch. ;-)

Old 05-10-2004, 02:58 AM
shawnandcathy

For the seed to germinate properly it requires greater than 50 degrees for
at least a week. Even if it does germinate this late in the year, it's too
late for it to establish a decent root system which is essential when spring
rolls around and you are wondering why your new grass is dying.

"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
om...
(Chet Hayes) wrote in message

om...

Old 05-10-2004, 06:26 AM
Chet Hayes

Peter H wrote in message ...
Merle O'Broham wrote:

[...]

With 12000 square feet, good seed really isn't going to be cheap and
you have the rental cost of a slice seeder to properly sow it, plus
all the labor. This is one of those things you can do right once, or
keep doing wrong many times.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Dandelion Acres

I've discovered an excellent method of re-seeding my lawn. Once a season, I
simply let the grass grow all the way to seed. Once the wife gets too vocal
and the kids get lost, I get out the big flail mower and whack it all down.
I've a lush, thick "lawn" now with only original seeding done. Well, perhaps
the birds and critters have dropped in a few other species, but who's
worried about that?

Old 06-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Merle O'Broham

snip
With 12000 square feet, good seed really isn't going to be cheap and
you have the rental cost of a slice seeder to properly sow it, plus
all the labor. This is one of those things you can do right once, or
keep doing wrong many times.

Totally agree. I'd love to scrape it up and put down a nice new
suburban lawn- amended soil, roto-tilled..... time and money prohibit.

What I've been doing is occasionally throwing some seed and dirt,
sometimes that foamy Scott's lawn patch stuff, into the little gaps in
the lawn. Grass fills in during the spring and it does look really
lush, but the issue is still the 4 different types of grasses.
Squirrels rip the shit out of the grass right about now, bury acorns,
looking for grubs, bulbs, whatever, so seeding now is kinda tricky.

The fellas at the local True Value could probably steer me to the
right seed type (fescue?), but I'll have to use that same exact type
of seed for the next few years. I think I'm kinda stuck doing it this
way unless I replace up the lawn a section at a time.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Chet Hayes

[...]

For shade creeping red or chewing fescue are the usual choices. There
are shade blends that have several varieties mixed together. I've had
good success in shade with Jonathon Green Dense Shade. For really
dense shade, their Shady Nook has worked for me. Of course, I'm here
in NJ, but I think those would likely work in Chicago too. Check out
Seedland.com, they have lots of good choices too.

One thing I'm curious about. You say you have 4 types of grass
growing now. That isn't unusual, most lawns have several types of
grass. One benefit is that if one gets attacked by a particular
disease or insect, the others may not, so it's far less noticeable and
quickly recovers. Is there a particular problem with the 4 types of
grass that you are having?

As for this year, if I were you, since it's too late to seed now, I'd
do other simple things that will help a lot. You could rent a core
aerator, which is beneficial. Also, get the PH tested and adjust if
needed. Fertilize now if you haven't already. If you fertilized in
sept, then early nov give it one more application. IF weeds are a big
problem, it's not too late to do some spot weed control or use a weed
n feed product. Doing this now will make a big difference it getting
it going next spring.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:21 AM
Merle O'Broham

For shade creeping red or chewing fescue are the usual choices. There
are shade blends that have several varieties mixed together. I've had
good success in shade with Jonathon Green Dense Shade. For really
dense shade, their Shady Nook has worked for me. Of course, I'm here
in NJ, but I think those would likely work in Chicago too. Check out
Seedland.com, they have lots of good choices too.

One thing I'm curious about. You say you have 4 types of grass
growing now. That isn't unusual, most lawns have several types of
grass. One benefit is that if one gets attacked by a particular
disease or insect, the others may not, so it's far less noticeable and
quickly recovers. Is there a particular problem with the 4 types of
grass that you are having?

Just aesthetics. Most lawns in the city are very small (33' wide, and
maybe a 10' wide parkway and some more in the back), but I live on a
long rounded corner with maybe 150' of street curb. The grass in the
shade seems to do quite well, but the grass in the sun burns out in
July/August. The city just re-did the curb and now there's a 4' wide
strip of plush thick new lawn bordering the street. It's not a major
problem, I'd just prefer one type of grass (or at least one for sun,
one for shade). The different patches of grass seem to be in random
spots.

As for this year, if I were you, since it's too late to seed now, I'd
do other simple things that will help a lot. You could rent a core
aerator, which is beneficial. Also, get the PH tested and adjust if
needed. Fertilize now if you haven't already. If you fertilized in
sept, then early nov give it one more application. IF weeds are a big
problem, it's not too late to do some spot weed control or use a weed
n feed product. Doing this now will make a big difference it getting
it going next spring.

I aerated this past spring- probably the first time it's ever been
done to this lawn. I'll do it again soon. I put down Scott's
winterizer and with your suggestion I'll do that again soon as well.
Weeds I hand pull in the spring. They're not much of a problem. I hit
the lawn a couple of times with weedBgone mid-summer to control the
creeping charlie and clover.

Thanks so much for your input. I figure as long as the next year is a
little better than the year before, I'm doing OK!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Chet Hayes

[...]

Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Are those areas watered in summer? In high temps, grass needs water
ever 3-5 days or so, or it will go dormant. If it's not watered, I'd
do some research and find a seed or mix that has high drought
tolerance. I think Loft's makes a summer stress mix. That will
probably at least keep it green longer than what you have and also
have a better chance of surviving in that area.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Eric G

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:58:19 -0700, "Dandelion Acres"
wrote:

I've discovered an excellent method of re-seeding my lawn. Once a season, I
simply let the grass grow all the way to seed. Once the wife gets too vocal
and the kids get lost, I get out the big flail mower and whack it all down.
I've a lush, thick "lawn" now with only original seeding done. Well, perhaps
the birds and critters have dropped in a few other species, but who's
worried about that?

Hi Dandelion,

Are you saying that this will kill off a lawn that is infested with
more than 30% dandelions?

Approx. how many inches will the grass be? What time of year is best
to do this and will a gardener cry foul or refuse to cut if he sees
the length of grass?
I don't have a mower and we're talking a BIG lawn.

Thanks

Re-seeding my lawn: no visible growth after 16 days! Keith Brown United Kingdom 6 08-04-2009 11:50 PM
lawn seeding? Ni North Carolina 1 03-11-2003 09:33 PM
Lawn Seeding Thrill Gardening 1 05-10-2003 05:32 PM
Seeding lawn v turf - what type Geoff Australia 5 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Seeding a lawn Dan United Kingdom 2 31-03-2003 09:56 AM