Old 07-10-2004, 04:05 AM
PK

Default Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas

I wasn't brought up in these parts so I'm not altogether sure of the best
approach to this but I have a lot of bumps and hollows in my yard and I'd
like my lawn to be a lot smoother come next Spring.

Now, trying to excuse my ignorance of how to go about this ...

- I should do this in the Spring just as the grass is about to grow? or
before the frosts come?

- My soil is just normal Texas 'clay' with about 2 inches of sand that the
builders put down and then the 1-2 inches on the sod - should I be adding
topsoil to my entire yard if I can afford it? My Bermuda grass was fairly
good this year but a little patchy and very bumpy.

- Alternatively does a roller work well with repeated use?

- The important question - where does one get a few cubic yards of good
topsoil near Frisco, TX?

I saw them putting down some nice topsoil along side George Bush Turnpike
but I think they would notice me parked alongside the road. Actually, the
topsoil going down alongside the Turnpike is what made me thing if this is
the time of year to do such a thing.

Any advice welcome.

Regards,
PK

Old 07-10-2004, 02:21 PM
William W. Plummer

PK wrote:
[...]

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Chuck

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

snip

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Now this has been *years* ago when I was in Jr. High, but I remember my dad
getting a dump truck load of sand (?). Then good ol' Chuck would have to
carry the sand to the back yard using a wheelbarrow and spread it with a
shovel.

From there my dad got a cross tie and if I remember right, he hammered some
large nails in the bottom of the cross tie with about 1 or 2 inches hanging
out from the bottom, acting as a rake (?) and attached a rope to both ends
of the cross tie.. Again, good ol' Chuck would then pull the cross tie
around the yard like a mule spreading and leveling the sand.

This seemed to do the trick because to this day, the yard is level, other
than where the city came in and dug a hole in the yard.

---

Old 07-10-2004, 11:46 PM

In dfw.general Chuck wrote:
"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

snip

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Now this has been *years* ago when I was in Jr. High, but I remember my dad
getting a dump truck load of sand (?). Then good ol' Chuck would have to
carry the sand to the back yard using a wheelbarrow and spread it with a
shovel.

From there my dad got a cross tie and if I remember right, he hammered some
large nails in the bottom of the cross tie with about 1 or 2 inches hanging
out from the bottom, acting as a rake (?) and attached a rope to both ends
of the cross tie.. Again, good ol' Chuck would then pull the cross tie
around the yard like a mule spreading and leveling the sand.

This seemed to do the trick because to this day, the yard is level, other
than where the city came in and dug a hole in the yard.

I see. This sounds like a very effective technique. When can you
come over?

--

That's News To Me!

Old 07-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Chuck

wrote in message
In dfw.general Chuck wrote:
"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

snip

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Now this has been *years* ago when I was in Jr. High, but I remember my

dad
getting a dump truck load of sand (?). Then good ol' Chuck would have to
carry the sand to the back yard using a wheelbarrow and spread it with a
shovel.

From there my dad got a cross tie and if I remember right, he hammered

some
large nails in the bottom of the cross tie with about 1 or 2 inches

hanging
out from the bottom, acting as a rake (?) and attached a rope to both

ends
of the cross tie.. Again, good ol' Chuck would then pull the cross tie
around the yard like a mule spreading and leveling the sand.

This seemed to do the trick because to this day, the yard is level,

other
than where the city came in and dug a hole in the yard.

I see. This sounds like a very effective technique. When can you
come over?

Like I said, I was in Jr High and didn't have a choice. You may want to
contact Juan though. He may be able to help.

---

Old 09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Srgnt Billko

"PK" wrote in message
I wasn't brought up in these parts so I'm not altogether sure of the best
approach to this but I have a lot of bumps and hollows in my yard and I'd
like my lawn to be a lot smoother come next Spring.

Now, trying to excuse my ignorance of how to go about this ...

- I should do this in the Spring just as the grass is about to grow? or
before the frosts come?

- My soil is just normal Texas 'clay' with about 2 inches of sand that the
builders put down and then the 1-2 inches on the sod - should I be adding
topsoil to my entire yard if I can afford it? My Bermuda grass was fairly
good this year but a little patchy and very bumpy.

- Alternatively does a roller work well with repeated use?

- The important question - where does one get a few cubic yards of good
topsoil near Frisco, TX?

I'd try the original builer - who knows, he might just dump you a load. I
dump dirt on low spots all the time and don't bother with seed - the grass
just comes back up through the dirt.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Chuck

William W. Plummer wrote:

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Ummm... bottom posting is the preferred method here (dfw.general)...

---

Old 10-10-2004, 04:57 PM
William W. Plummer

William W. Plummer wrote:

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you
have tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or
cover them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and
seed over the low spots, but without scarifying the original
surface. I don't know how it will work.

That's inane. I just use the Mozilla default. Please add a rule to
delete posts from me and everyone else that your don't approve of.
Old 13-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Eric

William W. Plummer wrote:

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.

Ummm... bottom posting is the preferred method here (dfw.general)...

True but the problem with bottom posting is that you must always scroll down
to read posts. with top posting you can work your way through the entire
thread from start to finish without being forced to scroll,scroll,scoll.
IMHO top posting makes much more sense.
Eric

Old 14-10-2004, 02:39 AM
PK

"PK" wrote in message
I wasn't brought up in these parts so I'm not altogether sure of the best
approach to this but I have a lot of bumps and hollows in my yard and I'd
like my lawn to be a lot smoother come next Spring.

...snip...

Any advice welcome.

Regards,
PK

Thank y'all for the advice. I'll get the aerator going (someone just did it
a few doors down) and then get some decent soil in.

PK

Neem tree in DFW area [email protected] Gardening 0 09-03-2005 09:01 PM
Replacing my lawn with tif 419 in DFW Dan Ahearn Lawns 1 12-05-2003 07:20 PM
tif 419 in DFW Dan Ahearn Lawns 1 12-05-2003 02:33 AM
DFW snail sale Tim Wardell Ponds 2 18-04-2003 04:20 AM
Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!! john fraser United Kingdom 5 24-03-2003 04:32 PM