Old 14-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Winter

Default Cans of "stump remover"

I have a stump that will need to be removed next spring. For years, I
have seen these cans of stump remover in the hardware stores. I have
always assumed, and still do, that they are a complete and total
crock. Does anyone have experience here.

Thank you.

Winter
Old 24-11-2004, 07:15 AM
J.Caldwell

From second hand knowledge: It's OK but stumps disappear quit readily if you
keep them moist. A 6" cover of soil will work in three or four years. If
your impatient, you'll have to rent a stump grinder.
om...

Old 24-11-2004, 02:49 PM
William W. Plummer

J.Caldwell wrote:
From second hand knowledge: It's OK but stumps disappear quit readily if you
keep them moist. A 6" cover of soil will work in three or four years. If
your impatient, you'll have to rent a stump grinder.
"Winter" wrote in message
om...

I have a stump that will need to be removed next spring. For years, I
have seen these cans of stump remover in the hardware stores. I have
always assumed, and still do, that they are a complete and total
crock. Does anyone have experience here.

Thank you.

Winter

Years ago people would drill 1" holes in the stump and fill them with
"saltpeter" (sodium nitrate). After several months a fire built over
the stump would burn it out. I've never done it myself so I can't
vouch for the technique.
Old 24-11-2004, 03:53 PM
GFRfan

William W. Plummer wrote:
J.Caldwell wrote:

From second hand knowledge: It's OK but stumps disappear quit readily
if you
keep them moist. A 6" cover of soil will work in three or four years. If
your impatient, you'll have to rent a stump grinder.
"Winter" wrote in message
om...

I have a stump that will need to be removed next spring. For years, I
have seen these cans of stump remover in the hardware stores. I have
always assumed, and still do, that they are a complete and total
crock. Does anyone have experience here.

Thank you.

Winter

Years ago people would drill 1" holes in the stump and fill them with
"saltpeter" (sodium nitrate). After several months a fire built over
the stump would burn it out. I've never done it myself so I can't
vouch for the technique.

My neighbor did that about 2 weeks after we moved here. The stump burned
out in about 24 hours. Also, the root system must have been quite
extensive as he had little fires break out in the yard for 2 or 3 days
afterwards. The fire followed the roots down and where the root came
close to the surface, it would get hot enough that the ground, in some
cases 15 feet away, would start smoldering. He finally got it put out by
soaking the entire area for an hour. Pretty cool actually. [:^)