Old 22-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Genevieve

Default Help with tiny little house flies!!

What the heck are these things and how can I get rid of them???

They drift around my house like fruit flies but they're not fruit flies.
They're just as tiny but they're not pink.

I find them mostly flying around:

my potted plants

my kitchen sink

my bathtub &

the garbage can

God forbid I forget the butter on the counter one morning... they'll be two
stuck in there by the time I get home! Any glass of water or juice left for
more than an hour is sure to have one floating it in and one always seems to
drift around my face while watching TV!

I can't take this anymore! I've sprayed my potted plant's soil with dish
detergent and water but they won't die!

What can I do??

Old 22-11-2004, 02:33 PM
willshak

On 11/22/2004 8:18 AM US(ET), Genevieve took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

What the heck are these things and how can I get rid of them???

They drift around my house like fruit flies but they're not fruit flies.
They're just as tiny but they're not pink.

Fruit flies are not pink, but they do have reddish eyes.
Google on 'fruit flies', or 'phorid flies' (different but similar fly),
for answers.

Old 25-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Phil

"willshak" wrote in message
On 11/22/2004 8:18 AM US(ET), Genevieve took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

What the heck are these things and how can I get rid of them???

I have a feeling they are fruit flies , never tried this but I think it will
work, get a small jar smear the insides with honey or jelly, drop in some
small pieces of banana , flies will be attracted to the banana , land on the
sides and stick to the honey, this is based on a fly trap I saw in a bar ,
they hung around the drip trays of the draught beer in the summer .

Old 25-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Al

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:18:39 -0500, "Genevieve"
wrote:

What the heck are these things and how can I get rid of them???

They drift around my house like fruit flies but they're not fruit flies.
They're just as tiny but they're not pink.

SNIP

Sounds like you most likely have Fungus Gnats or Shore Flies. Take a
look at the identification section of the link below for a better
diagnosis. The easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the
antennae and wings. Fungus Gnats have segmented antennae that are
longer than their head. Shore Flies have short, fuzzy, barely
noticeable antennae and 5 white spots on their wings. Getting rid of
them long term is not easy. A few drops of dish soap in the plant
water will kill some of the larvae. Don't use anti bacterial
detergent because it can upset the balance of the soil. The link
suggests adding bacteria to the soil to combat the larvae.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html
Old 27-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Kevin French

Genevieve wrote:
I find them mostly flying around:

my potted plants

Let them dry out

my kitchen sink

Clean,Clean, CLEAN

my bathtub &

See above

the garbage can

Quickly tie the top and remove

God forbid I forget the butter on the counter one morning... they'll be two
stuck in there by the time I get home!

Keep it covered
Any glass of water or juice left for
more than an hour is sure to have one floating it in and one always seems to
drift around my face while watching TV!

I can't take this anymore! I've sprayed my potted plant's soil with dish
detergent and water but they won't die!

What can I do??

I had them at work and got rid of them with sprays using above methods

The honey also suggested may work just watch it and make sure they are
not multipuling there