Old 29-11-2004, 05:28 PM
FardinA

Default Cutting grass in late fall

Hi there,
I have laid my sod in mid-August here in Canada where winter usually
starts around end October.
My lawn has started to turn browinsh since a month ago, and I think
it's pretty normal (Cold weather has started). Most of my neighbors'
grass are almost the same as mine. But two of my neighbourss grass is
still green. Theirs have some brownish patches, but not that much mine
has.
Do you have any idea why? First thing has come to my mind was that he
might use different type of grass. But I think all the sod retailers
use the same type of grass all over the city I am living. By the way,
the two neighbors laid their so by end of September. Their grasses has
not even reached to that height so they can cut it.
Another question I have is about cutting my grass. My grass height is
something close to 3 inches,and most of it s brown. Should I cut the
grass so I can avoid the snow moles later on? Or just leave the grass
as is? There is not snow yet, and Temperature ussually stays between 2
and -7 C.

thanks

Old 29-11-2004, 10:29 PM
GFRfan

Yeah. What quadroon said.

quadroon wrote:
What the hell are snow moles?

FardinA wrote:

Hi there,
I have laid my sod in mid-August here in Canada where winter usually
starts around end October.
My lawn has started to turn browinsh since a month ago, and I think
it's pretty normal (Cold weather has started). Most of my neighbors'
grass are almost the same as mine. But two of my neighbourss grass is
still green. Theirs have some brownish patches, but not that much mine
has.
snip

Old 30-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Peter H

FardinA wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you neighbours lawns that are still green are still under
the effect of the fert from the sod farm... or perhaps they have
fertilized the lawns themselves. Either way at this time of year in most
of Canada your lawn should be brown and dormant... ready for the blast
to come. You also don't want to fertilize a new lawn until it has rooted.

I would recommend giving it a final cut and I'm a fan of the really
short last cut. It will help to deter the moles, but will also help
prevent some fungal infections.

Peter H

btw. many homeowners get far too excited about the "green" of their lawn
in my opinion. Getting it green is easy, keeping it healthy is quite
another thing.
Old 30-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Steveo

(FardinA) wrote:
Hi there,
I have laid my sod in mid-August here in Canada where winter usually
starts around end October.
My lawn has started to turn browinsh since a month ago, and I think
it's pretty normal (Cold weather has started). Most of my neighbors'
grass are almost the same as mine. But two of my neighbourss grass is
still green. Theirs have some brownish patches, but not that much mine
has.
Do you have any idea why? First thing has come to my mind was that he
might use different type of grass. But I think all the sod retailers
use the same type of grass all over the city I am living. By the way,
the two neighbors laid their so by end of September. Their grasses has
not even reached to that height so they can cut it.

Soil temp or moisture content can change turf color at this point, so
I wouldn't be concerned with that on new sod at this point.

Another question I have is about cutting my grass. My grass height is
something close to 3 inches,and most of it s brown. Should I cut the
grass so I can avoid the snow moles later on? Or just leave the grass
as is? There is not snow yet, and Temperature ussually stays between 2
and -7 C.

thanks

You need to cut it as short as your deck allows without scalping, under
1 1/2" if practical. One caveat about that tho..don't cut it if it's not
rooted enough to keep it from sucking up into the mower deck.

Try it in an inconspicuous area first. Good luck with your new lawn.

Old 30-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Steveo

GFRfan wrote:
Yeah. What quadroon said.

quadroon wrote:
What the hell are snow moles?

If you don't know he meant snow mold, buy a turfgrass book please.
Old 30-11-2004, 04:46 AM
Oscar_Lives

"Steveo" wrote in message
GFRfan wrote:
Yeah. What quadroon said.

quadroon wrote:
What the hell are snow moles?

If you don't know he meant snow mold, buy a turfgrass book please.

He said "snow moles".

Are you ****ing stupid?

Old 30-11-2004, 04:49 AM
Steveo

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
GFRfan wrote:
Yeah. What quadroon said.

quadroon wrote:
What the hell are snow moles?

If you don't know he meant snow mold, buy a turfgrass book please.

He said "snow moles".

Yep a typo. Ever do that?

Are you ****ing stupid?

Nope. You look to me for answers.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Jim Sullivan

"quadroon" wrote in message
What the hell are snow moles?

A blanket of snow is actually a good insulator and moles (or other small
rodents) will dig tunnels under the snow and in the grass. While generally
not a big problem, I did lose a bush one year when they ate the branches
during the winter.

I wouldn't bother to cut it, but if you haven't fertilized it, you might
want to do that in the early spring.

--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington

Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Steveo

"Jim Sullivan" wrote:
"quadroon" wrote in message
What the hell are snow moles?

A blanket of snow is actually a good insulator and moles (or other small
rodents) will dig tunnels under the snow and in the grass. While
generally not a big problem, I did lose a bush one year when they ate the
branches during the winter.

Moles burrow under lawns in search of food such as earthworms and grubs,
they're not called snow moles.

I wouldn't bother to cut it, but if you haven't fertilized it, you might
want to do that in the early spring.

He'll have snow mold out the ying yang if he over-winters his lawn
excessively long. Those blades will lay over and mat down, forming the
perfect enviroment for fungus.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
GFRfan

Steveo wrote:

Steveo wrote:
He'll have snow mold out the ying yang if he over-winters his lawn
excessively long. Those blades will lay over and mat down, forming the
perfect enviroment for fungus.

Thanks Steveo. Now that makes sense.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Steveo

"Bob" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
GFRfan wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Steveo wrote:
He'll have snow mold out the ying yang if he over-winters

his lawn
excessively long. Those blades will lay over and mat down,

forming the
perfect enviroment for fungus.

Thanks Steveo. Now that makes sense.

GFR rocks!

What the ..... are GFR rocks? Is this a common problem in your
area?

Bob :-)

Mark Farner, is that you? g
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 AM
willshak

On 12/7/2004 6:46 PM US(ET), Bob took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Steveo" wrote in message

GFRfan wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Steveo wrote:
He'll have snow mold out the ying yang if he over-winters

his lawn

excessively long. Those blades will lay over and mat down,

forming the

perfect enviroment for fungus.

Thanks Steveo. Now that makes sense.

GFR rocks!

What the ..... are GFR rocks? Is this a common problem in your
area?

Bob :-)

He's replying to GFRfan. Grand Funk Railroad - a band popular back in
the early 70s.