Old 24-02-2005, 08:25 AM
RB

Default chain link fence query

We have approx 4 acres fenced with light 4' high chain link fencing at our
church. Sections of the fence have been damaged or destroyed by big trees
falling across it.

We're trying to figure out if repair of damaged portions is a "do it
yourself" project or not for a couple of old geezers. Some answers to the
below questions will certainly help us get an answer to this query:

a. Do steel line posts have to be cemented in?

b. Are there couplings and fittings which will enable us to splice top bar
tubing (horizontal) pieces so that we can just walk up to a damaged section
and fix it without having to tear out more fenceline?

c. As to putting replacement chain link material in place, it appears it
might be as simple as vertically cutting off just prior to bent/damaged
areas, and then splicing onto that and carrying the run all the way to the
next good section.

d. Do we need to fasten the top edge of the chain link fence material to
the horizontal tubing?

It may be that the make or break factor will be if we have to re-dig a bunch
of post holes where posts have been knocked down. If we can do that with
power augers, maybe OK. If not, we won't be able to handle hand digging of
post holes.

If we have to cement the posts in that's going to be a real problem, too, as
some of the areas are very inaccessible. Getting fresh mix concrete to them
would require wheeling in a barrow quite a ways, one way, for each.

Old 25-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Dandelion Acres

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

They have bags of ready mix where you just add a little water. There is
always an old wheelbarrow around. Mix it right on the spot in the
wheelbarrow. You're only talking about a few shovel fulls of cement for
each post.

You can also simply pour the dry redi-mix into the hole and let nature take
its course. The cement will absorb moisture or you can hose it a bit and it
will set up just fine. May require additional bracing.

If you can get a power auger in there you can get a power wheelbarrow in
there too. Ask the rental yard for a Dingo.

Old 27-02-2005, 05:27 PM
USENET READER

Buy bags of ready mix concrete, haul them out to the site of the work.
Then mix each bag (or two together if they are small bags) into the
barrow tub, and slowly add water from a five-gallon bucket and mix well
with a mason's hoe (has two holes in the blade). It means you don't
have to haul the mix all around your yard.