Old 24-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Shane

Default Steveo, its that time of year again! :)

Hey Steveo,

I have a few questions I'm sure you can answer. I live in the midwest
and it stopped snowing in the valley, but its been in the upper 30's with
rain ever other day. My soils is claylike and my grass I think is a kentucky
blue grass, or a kentucky/rye not 100% sure on that. Anyways, my questions
are...

1.) When should I Aerate my lawn?
2.) When should I start fertilizing the lawn? (after the aerating which is
schedules for first part of april)
a.) and what fertilizer should I start with. (Scotts)
b.) If I don't plan on watering the grass for at least another month
should I even fertilize the lawn?
c.) If fertilze with not water will it burn the lawn?
3.) Dethatching... yes or no, or not really necessary?

As always thanks for your help in answering my questions, hopefully next
year I'll be helping others instead of
still recieving help!

Old 24-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Steveo

"Shane" wrote:
Hey Steveo,

I have a few questions I'm sure you can answer. I live in the midwest
and it stopped snowing in the valley, but its been in the upper 30's with
rain ever other day. My soils is claylike and my grass I think is a
kentucky blue grass, or a kentucky/rye not 100% sure on that. Anyways, my
questions are...

1.) When should I Aerate my lawn?

Once the soil will support the machine without turning it into a mud pit,
and before you apply your crabgrass preventer.

2.) When should I start fertilizing the lawn? (after the aerating which
is schedules for first part of april)
a.) and what fertilizer should I start with. (Scotts)

If you're planning on using a pre-emergent crabgrass control plus
fertilizer like Halts (Scotts), you need to have that down before the
forsythia finishes blooming.

b.) If I don't plan on watering the grass for at least another month
should I even fertilize the lawn?

I would..there's usually ample rainfall in the spring to not have to
irrigate.

c.) If fertilze with not water will it burn the lawn?

No. There is almost no burn potential if applied correctly, especially
in the spring.

3.) Dethatching... yes or no, or not really necessary?

Ony if your thatch layer is in excess of 3/4 of an inch. You'd be better
off doing that in the fall and overseeding afterward if needed.

As always thanks for your help in answering my questions,

No problem, Shane.

hopefully next
year I'll be helping others instead of
still recieving help!