Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Poor lawn of an abused garden - Help!

Hi

I have recently moved in a new house that has been empty for a while and the previous owners totally aused the garden. It's full of brambles, weeds and the lawn is a mess.

It's really patchy, is full of dandilion type weeds, looks like someone lit a fire on it at some stage, had sand on it ...a real mess.

I have got rid of the litter, rocks and sand and let it green up and grow as much as I can bear and this weekend I mowed it for the first time.

It's looking a lot better but it really is full of weeds. I started to dig them up but it's making the lawn look even more patchy.

Is "feed and weed" the answer. Is it best to feel the pain - dig all the weeds out and let it repair it's self?

Returfing is out of the question really as we are on a tight budget and the lawn is a big area, but I want it looking half decent (I'm not bothered about perfection) so my young daughter can play out there when the sun comes back.

Any advice would be great.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:55 AM
benzette

two basic suggestions .... you can either reseed or let it fill in by
itself. the pathes should fill in by them selves by next year. just keep
fertilizing and watering the usual methods.

Or reseed and keep everyone off the reseeded areas for a few months to
let the new grass take hold. the seed and seedlings need to stay moist
till they take hold as you know.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Peter H

I would argue that chances are very good that if you take this advice you
will have a weed factory on your hands. If the chemicals don't bother you
and you're just looking for a reasonably well kept lawn hit it with weed and
feed.
Peter H

Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM

And of course it all depends on what is there to work with? If the
lawn is full of undesirable grasses and weeds, even if you deal with
the weeds, you're left with crap. IMO, in many cases it's easier to
start over and do it right. Another approach would be to get through
this season using weed/feed, then see what happens. You could re-seed
in late summer/early fall, which is optimal.

Abused Cymbidium John DH Orchids 2 13-12-2004 11:48 PM
Reviving an abused rose Ali Roses 2 14-05-2004 08:03 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational Pam Gardening 3 29-04-2003 05:44 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? animaux Gardening 6 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? John Robertson Gardening 6 25-04-2003 04:08 AM