GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/92119-self-propelled-mowers-single-speed-vs-variable-speed.html)

Kevin 08-04-2005 03:12 PM

Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed?

Hello,

I've always had self-propelled mowers with three speed settings, which
I thought was great. I'll be buying a new mower soon, staying around
the $300 range. It seems self-propelled has only two options now --
single speed and variable speed.

I don't have the best feeling looking at the variable speed mowers, if
you have to hold the bicycle brake type thing and squeeze tighter to go
faster, it seems like that would be a pain. It seems like my hand
would get tired if I had to squeeze half way instead of being able to
close my hand. (I don't actually know if that is how it works
though...)

So I would lean towards single speed, but I have no idea how fast the
single speed is. What if it's way too fast or way too slow? Kind of
scary not knowing.

Any opinions on these? Thanks!
Kevin

[email protected] 11-04-2005 10:04 PM

I have a 3-speed self-propelled mower. I mainly run it in medium-speed
(or is that slow speed?) because I use it for mulching; moreover, I
don't feel tired if I run it in that speed.

Occasionally I ran it in high speed (or is that medium speed?). That
was when I sensed that rain was approaching and I had to finish mowing
before the rain came. I didn't like running in that speed because this
was too stressful and I consider myself as physically fit.

The bottom line is that I would not like my mower if it only had one
single speed and that was on high-speed.

Of course, someone may say that we need to run the mower in high speed
in order to finish mowing a large lawn in a timely fashion. My thinking
is that if the lawn is quite large, that person is probably better off
getting a riding mower instead of a walk-behind mower.

Jay Chan

[email protected] 12-04-2005 02:23 PM

"I have a 3-speed self-propelled mower. I mainly run it in medium-speed

(or is that slow speed?) because I use it for mulching; moreover, I
don't feel tired if I run it in that speed. "

Same thing here with my Honda 215. The medium speed is just right for
a nice cut and comfortable pace. I've never tried one of the
continuously variable speed ones, but would think it would be a pain in
the ass if you have to continuely hold the grip in just the right
position for the speed you want. What would be more practical IMO,
would be to allow you to adjust the existing 3 speeds within a range to
fine tune them to the speeds you want. Once set, you could just lock
it in med speed and be good to go for 95% of what you'll ever use it
for.