GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/93378-plant-id-please.html)

Merle O'Broham 02-05-2005 05:49 PM

Plant ID please

Just trying to figure out what grows in my garden- Narcissus or a type
of Daffodil? Bottom left. TIA
http://www.jhcp.cps.k12.il.us/Gardening.htm

Pat Kiewicz 03-05-2005 12:06 PM

Merle O'Broham said:

Just trying to figure out what grows in my garden- Narcissus or a type
of Daffodil? Bottom left. TIA
http://www.jhcp.cps.k12.il.us/Gardening.htm

All daffodils (common name) are Narcissus (genus name).

Yours is possibly a variety of poeticus daffodil. Does it have any
fragrance? Poeticus daffodils have one bloom per stem, white petals
with a small crinkled disc (often with a green center, surrounded by yellow
and a contrasting red or orange rim) and the flowers are fragrant.

Might be the variety called 'Pheasant's Eye."

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Merle O'Broham 03-05-2005 02:24 PM

There are lots of varieties of similar daffodils in my neighborhood.
Some probably date back to the turn of the century. This one is
unscented. I guess I'd be happy just calling it a daffodil. Thanks.
I'll google some daffodil pages.

BTW- it's funny- I'm always in the garden digging, planting, moving
whatever, and this is maybe my 3rd or 4th year with the gardening bug.
Now my neighbors are coming to *me* for advice.(!) I feel reluctant
giving an 80 yr old advice about Lilly of the Valley or whatever.
Flattering, though. .02

Thanks again.

I'll be posting a bunch of pics reallysoon showing my Paghat Flagstone
Path-inspired dogpatch.

Pat Kiewicz 04-05-2005 12:16 PM

Merle O'Broham said:

There are lots of varieties of similar daffodils in my neighborhood.
Some probably date back to the turn of the century. This one is
unscented. I guess I'd be happy just calling it a daffodil. Thanks.
I'll google some daffodil pages.

I did some more googling, too, and found that there are varieties
of Poet's daffodils that are scentless. So maybe you can still call it
that...

BTW- it's funny- I'm always in the garden digging, planting, moving
whatever, and this is maybe my 3rd or 4th year with the gardening bug.
Now my neighbors are coming to *me* for advice.(!) I feel reluctant
giving an 80 yr old advice about Lilly of the Valley or whatever.
Flattering, though. .02

If you *look like* you know what you are doing, people will assume that
you *do* know...