Old 15-05-2005, 12:27 AM
JoeT

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message

"JoeT" noway@today wrote in message

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

Hi Heidi.

How big an area are you going to aerate?

Well, I have ten acres or so or low maintainence lawn and I drag a cheap
roller aerator from Lowes and it works fine. However, I have about half
an acre of nice lawn around the house that is impossible to get the
'drag behind' into. These areas are high traffic and suffer from
compaction and I'd love to punch them a couple times a year. I'm
weighing owning vs renting. Owning is expensive and comes with
maintainence issues but renting is a pain for me for a couple of
reasons.

HtH

Just curious how much weight you strap onto that drag behind to get it to
do a decent job? And is it a core or spike type?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

I have a core aerator I bought from Lowes. I strap four cement blocks on
there and pull it behind the 4-wheeler (faster than the mower). I punch
when the grass is dry but the soil is moist. If the ground is dry, then
it doesn't dig deep enough and if the ground is too wet it is a muddy mess
and if the grass is wet, then I can't get good traction with all the
weight.

I totally trashed the thing after about five seasons of rough use but they
are fairly cheap and I'll just get another.

HtH

Thanks Heidi, I've been thinking of getting one but seeing people write
about them tearing up turf made me a bit shy about it. I don't have a 4
wheeler just a 15.5 horse lawn tractor but I can live with goin slow, it's a
small area and maybe with a little less than four cinder blocks so I don't
end up simply spinning the tires. lol My lawn is almost devoid of anything
resembling an actually level area. I'd rent one as I used to but now have a
lower back problem that prevents me from even using a self propelled push
mower so a rental aerator is out of the question.

Joe

Old 15-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Heidi the Horrible

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
[...]

Mine doesn't tear up the turf other than the expected holes and loose plugs.
I usually punch and fertilize before a good rain is coming and the yard
looks completely normal a couple of days later.

It can be tough on the lower back though because I load on the cement blocks
and bungee them down and I get stuck once in a while when I get too greedy
on a turn. All this takes lifting and pushing and an occasional call for
help from a big, hairy man who should be doing this in the first place.

HtH

Old 30-05-2005, 03:19 PM
redrover

I bought the Plugr and tried it out yesterday. It works very well,
especially around corners. Because the tines travel in a straight line, it
disrupt the ground nearly as much as a RYAN rotary aerator. (unless you
try to go up a really steep hill)

Dr. J

"notspike" wrote in message
anyone have any experience with this turf aerator www.plugr.com . I was
wondering if the tines tore the turf as it moved along like the plug
areators that are round and you pull behind riding mower? This one
doesn't look like it would tear up the ground as the tines appear to come
'pretty much' straight up and down. Also any other input on this machine
welcome.
thanks
bob

Old 30-05-2005, 08:04 PM
joe

redrover wrote:
I bought the Plugr and tried it out yesterday. It works very well,
especially around corners. Because the tines travel in a straight line, it
disrupt the ground nearly as much as a RYAN rotary aerator. (unless you
try to go up a really steep hill)

it does disrupt the ground like a rotary areator?
Old 30-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Steveo

joe wrote:
redrover wrote:
I bought the Plugr and tried it out yesterday. It works very well,
especially around corners. Because the tines travel in a straight
line, it disrupt the ground nearly as much as a RYAN rotary aerator.
(unless you try to go up a really steep hill)

it does disrupt the ground like a rotary areator?

They look like junk.

Old 31-05-2005, 11:20 PM
redrover

No it doesn't disrupt the ground. And a note to Stevo, just cause you
haven't seen one up close doesn't make it junk.

Dr. J

"joe" wrote in message
news

Old 31-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Steveo

"redrover" wrote:
And a note to Stevo, just cause you
haven't seen one up close doesn't make it junk.

I seen enough here to know I don't want one.

http://www.wikco.com/Plugr.html
Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
joe

Steveo wrote:

"redrover" wrote:

And a note to Stevo, just cause you
haven't seen one up close doesn't make it junk.

I seen enough here to know I don't want one.

http://www.wikco.com/Plugr.html

neat movie. looks like something a pro would want. doesn't tear the
turf when the tines pop out of the ground like the aerators that roll,
which takes the grass longer to grow back over the damaged areas. Not
only do you get the benefit of areation but without the damage. A
better mousetrap?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Steveo

joe wrote:
Steveo wrote:

"redrover" wrote:

And a note to Stevo, just cause you
haven't seen one up close doesn't make it junk.

I seen enough here to know I don't want one.

http://www.wikco.com/Plugr.html

neat movie. looks like something a pro would want.

Yea, especially with how easy it loads.

http://img64.echo.cx/img64/7038/plugrloading5uk.jpg

Nope, I've never seen one in my 28 years of professional lawncare. The OP
said he was going to use it on his own lawn, I suppose it may be ok for
that.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:25 PM
joe

Steveo wrote:

Yea, especially with how easy it loads.

http://img64.echo.cx/img64/7038/plugrloading5uk.jpg

I especially like the helper. Have you got a helper like that, Steveo?

Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
joe

Steveo wrote:

http://www.wikco.com/Plugr.html

Yea, especially with how easy it loads.

I especially like the helper in the video. Have you got a helper like
that Steveo?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Steveo

joe wrote:
Steveo wrote:

http://www.wikco.com/Plugr.html

Yea, especially with how easy it loads.

I especially like the helper in the video. Have you got a helper like
that Steveo?

No. I won't let 'em work off the invoice.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Steveo

Steveo wrote:
notspike wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

notspike wrote:

anyone have any experience with this turf aerator www.plugr.com . I
was
wondering if the tines tore the turf as it moved along like the
plug areators that are round and you pull behind riding mower? This
one doesn't look like it would tear up the ground as the tines appear
to come 'pretty much' straight up and down. Also any other input on
this machine welcome.
thanks
bob

I like Ryan aerators...only. They run forever and are real easy to
get parts for.

cost alot more than these.

How much more?

alot heavier too, harder to transport to
another yard.

They are self propelled, are you picking them up when loading?

Looks like I had to answer that my own self.

http://img64.echo.cx/img64/7038/plugrloading5uk.jpg

Old 03-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Steveo

"redrover" wrote:
Hi Folks,

Here are two unedited pictures of the Plugr aeration (5/8 " cores) of my
croquet lawn. Bermuda grass cut at 9/64". (0.140")
Note that the playing surface is virtually undisturbed. (all I did is
sweep the cores away with a broom for the photos)

Stevo, compare this with your Ryan (rotary) aerator. Post a photo and
let the readers decide which works better.

Dr. J

begin 666 Picture 070.jpg
[900008 bytes]
end

begin 666 Picture 071.jpg
[795562 bytes]
end

Don't post binaries in this text group, dumbass. This ain't your moms aol.

Is that what you call grass? lol

Recommendations for plug aerator? [email protected] Lawns 0 14-05-2003 12:44 PM
aerator- plug vs. disc Kelly Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
FS: broadcast spreader & aerator/seeder michelled North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM
aerator- plug vs. disc Kelly Lawns 1 29-09-2002 08:20 AM