Old 20-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Jibby

Default Neighbor's dog crapping in my yard

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using my
yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power wheelchair
and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel (especially
since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put up a fence, and
speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

Old 20-05-2005, 02:52 PM
red

Jibby wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using my
yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power wheelchair
and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel (especially
since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put up a fence, and
speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

call codes enforcement
Old 20-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using
my yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power
wheelchair and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel
(especially since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put
up a fence, and speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

call codes enforcement

That may start a war. Get a slingshot and some harmless but attention
getting ammo. Make a sport of it with a mean yell after firing.

Dogs respond well to training but only if you catch them in the act.

As a peace offering, get your neighbor a pooper scooper and ask him nicely
(again) to stop his dog from going in your yard and if he does, then please
clean it up pronto.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler

Old 20-05-2005, 04:42 PM
William W. Plummer

Heidi the Horrible wrote:

"red" wrote in message

Jibby wrote:

[...]

Put a lawn sprinkler or two where the dog come. Turn it on every time
the dog arrives.
Old 20-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jibby" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using
my yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power
wheelchair and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel
(especially since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put
up a fence, and speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

Very easy. The general theme is that you never, EVER cut a dog owner any
slack. Period. No slack. If you were repeatedly crapping on their lawn, they
would cut YOU no slack. You'd be arrested, and probably interviewed by a
psychologist, who would report to the judge that you needed a bit of
therapy. The dog owner is no different - the dog is just an extension of the
human who's supposed to be responsible for it.

1) Call your town and find out how many times a dog has to be off its
property before the dog catcher is allowed to remove the animal permanently.
For instance, in my town, it's 3 offenses. The dog catcher has to come over
and issue citations. They come with steadily increasing fines, none of which
are enough, but anyway....when incident #3 comes along, the dog catcher is
required to take away the dog. Depending on just how big of an asshole the
owner is when it appears before the judge, there's a good chance it will not
get the dog back.

2) Inform the neighbor that they have a problem, give them 30 seconds to
think, and then ask them for a commitment to stop the problem immediately.
That means "never again". Not "I'll start next week because this week, 'As
The World Turns' is so exciting that I can't get off my fat ass to walk the
dog and clean up after it".

3) Their response to #2 will usually be "Oh....sorry....I didn't know it
bothered anyone", or "I didn't know the dog was leaving the property". Both
are lies. Accept what they say because you can't fix their minds anyway.
There could be other responses, and the specifics will be useful insofar as
telling you whether to watch for their dog immediately, or the next day.
But, the behavior will not stop.

4) Start calling the dog catcher. Many years ago, ours told me he had to
witness the dog being off the property before he could do anything. That's
not true, and a judge will confirm it if you're given that line. Normally,
it takes a few weeks or more for 3 complaints to be made, but some dog
owners are so intensely stupid that you can actually have the animal gone in
a week. I've done it. It's great fun.

Keep in mind that the dog catcher is required to respond and do his or her
job. Do not accept any excuses. Remember, too, that dog owners' offenses are
100% intentional. They know exactly what they're doing, and they don't care
what effect is has on anyone else.

Good luck!

Old 20-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Doug Kanter

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message
news

"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
[...]

Let me get this straight. You think the victim should buy something for the
criminal?

Old 20-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
[...]

Yes. An unexpected peace offering can do wonders for guilt tripping someone
into stepping up to their responsibilities.

HtH

Old 20-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

"red" wrote in message

Jibby wrote:

[...]

Great idea. Can you figure out how to make it motion activated ? I'll bet
there is a way.

HtH

Old 20-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
[...]

Oh Heidi....you must be very young. You don't yet know that dog owners are
an exception to your statement. Think about it. If someone step's in your
dog's crap, he has to clean off his shoes, his wheels (in this case), and
perhaps his house or automobile carpets. The victim may have to pay someone
to clean the carpets. If not, he has to waste his time doing it when he
could've been doing something he wanted to do. Therefore, the dog owner has
stolen time, and perhaps money, and is fully aware of this. Since they are
aware of it but allowed their dog out anyway, we conclude that the result
was intentional.

This most certainly does NOT deserve a peace offering.

Old 20-05-2005, 06:03 PM
JoeT

Heidi the Horrible wrote:

"red" wrote in message

Jibby wrote:

[...]

I dunno, if the dog is anything like any of the many I've had over the years
it will see the sprinklers as an attraction and merely romp through them!
( Or literally stomp on them while biting at the spray!).

If speaking to the neighbors is no help, then they have already declared war
on you. Call animal control. If yours is like most areas there are leash
laws and the animal will be picked up if they see it out sans leash and the
owner notified ( If it has a proper license so they can trace the animal to
them, if it doesn't then they are risking more than just the sanitary nature
of your lawn because it doesn't get it's required vaccinations!). Your
neighbor shouldn't be told who made the call at all. (again if your area is
anything like most). And if you explain your situation, I'm sure they'll act
in keeping with your needs as a handicapped individual.

By the way, since the leash laws generally require the animal be leashed or
in a properly enclosed area when outdoors, this might end up requiring your
neigbor to put up a fence around their yard or at least provide a kennel
enclosure. Viola, no need for you to go to the expense of fencing your
property to solve this problem!

Again, allowing their animal onto your property at all after you have told
them not to do so is simply aggressive behavior on their part, and probably
illegal in any event. Your rational choices are to defend your rights using
the legal recourse available through your municipality or to put up with it
and resign yourself to that and perhaps more such behavior from your unkind
neighbors.

I once saw a person get fined for having their toy poodle in their own front
yard without a leash and that dog wasn't going anywhere else or about to
bother anyone. The leash laws, if you have them where you are, are usually
very explicit.

joe

Old 20-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Merle O'Broham

You have to decide your comfort level dealing with the animal. Ground
beef with rat poison, 12 guage, punji sticks, bbgun, electricity,
sprinkler on a timer, a new fence, or buying a big dog yourself? Lots
of creative options, but when you decide, try to remember that the
animal doesn't know any better. .02

I'd try that legal route myself.

Old 20-05-2005, 09:55 PM

there is a mastif that likes to crap big in my yard , crap usually
doesnt bother me but i got my pellet rifle(not to powerful) out in the
am when i drink coffee on the pourch and shot her in the hind leg right
in the middle of a good dump. after 2 shots i saw her crappin in the
feild across the way. lucas

Old 20-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
[...]

You can fight your neighbors fire with fire. I choose to fight fire with a
peace offering. To each is his own. The objective is to solve the problem
and have a nice relationship with the neighbor. That is a more complex
objective than just winning the dog poop fight.

Also, you are too harsh on dog owners. Some are irresponsible. Some just
don't realize the problems their dogs are causing. A few years back, I
lived in the country. My dog was well trained and well behaved and was
allowed to roam free at times for an hour or so. Unbeknownst to me, she
snuck up to the neighbors sheep field, jumped the fence and herded them all
in the barn. She didn't hurt the sheep, but the owner was concerned she
would and called my place furious. I appologized and promised to not let it
happen again. It didn't. Or so I thought. A couple of years later, I
found out through the grapevine that it happened again and that the sheep
farmer was furious. However, he never let me know that it happened again.
He told everybody in the neighborhood except me.

I was clearly at fault but I didn't know there was a problem. When I found
out the second time, I installed electric fencing and made damn sure it
didn't happen again.

If the neighbor had just been polite and kept me informed of the problem, we
would have solved it sooner. Had he called animal control or shot my dog,
then it would have been war and the neighborhood would have been a nasty
place.

Life is too short to start a war over dog poop.

Old 21-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Kiltz

"Jibby" wrote
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using

my
yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power

wheelchair
and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel (especially
since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put up a fence,

and
speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

A long time ago, we had some neighbors that came from which was East
Germany. They weren't familiar with indoor plumbing, and would defecate
where ever they happened to be. They did get _trained_ after being
familiarized with American ways.

I guess my point is, just be thankful it's a dog, and not human feces.