Old 27-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered User

Location: watford herts
Default seeded lawn rather patchy

hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit of seed ,cats etc.

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

thank you
Old 27-05-2005, 05:58 PM
William W. Plummer

weed wrote:
hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but
the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit
of seed ,cats etc.

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other
than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

It takes a few years for new grass to cover an area.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:01 PM
meirman

In alt.home.lawn.garden on Fri, 27 May 2005 10:24:37 +0000 weed
posted:

hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but
the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit
of seed ,cats etc.

I"ve seen a yard seeded and then covered with bed sheets or some other
bigger cloth sheets, staked at the corners. Is this to keep the birds
from eating the seed?

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other
than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

thank you

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Old 28-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Steveo

weed wrote:
hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but
the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit
of seed ,cats etc.

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other
than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

thank you

You didn't say where you live, weed.

Seed it again, but this time buy some fresh seed and keep it damp until
you've cut it at least twice. Sow 10 lbs per 1000 sq ft. (do the math)
Old 28-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
weed wrote:
hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but
the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit
of seed ,cats etc.

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other
than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

It takes a few years for new grass to cover an area.

Especially if you don't re-seed it initially.

Old 28-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Location: watford herts

thanks all have sieved out some topsoil and reseeded where there are bare patches and covered with pond netting, the lawn is on a steep slope though and subsoil is clay in the (watford area)

when watering with hose its possible some seed has washed down the slope, have kept watered with mist/spray nozzle.

ps not sure how i can upload a picture of lawn to this forum so its easier for members to see what i am trying to remedy.

thank you
Old 28-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Registered User

Location: watford herts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed
thanks all have sieved out some topsoil and reseeded where there are bare patches and covered with pond netting, the lawn is on a steep slope though and subsoil is clay in the (watford area)

when watering with hose its possible some seed has washed down the slope, have kept watered with mist/spray nozzle.

ps not sure how i can upload a picture of lawn to this forum so its easier for members to see what i am trying to remedy.

thank you
weeds lawn picture
Attached Thumbnails
seeded lawn rather patchy-p1030736.jpg
Old 01-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"weed" wrote in message

hi all seeded a lawn 15X17ft with seed given to me by a neighbour, but
the resulting lawn? is patchy ,proberbly due to birds taking a fair bit
of seed ,cats etc.

is there a remedy for this (i do not know the type of grass seed other
than its a johnsons varity ) without resorting to turfs.

thank you

--
weed

Burlap is the solution. Garden stores sell it. It serves four purposes:

1) Keeps birds from eating the seed.
2) Holes in burlap allow grass to grow through, then you lift off the burlap
without yanking the sprouts with it.
3) Helps retain moisture, which is important since seed suppliers always say
"keep constantly moist", as if we all have a large staff of gardeners who
are home all day, waiting with the hose.
4) Provides a mechanical barrier which protects the seed from the force of
watering. Even if you use the mist setting, you still run the risk of
sloshing some seed around after you've made an effort to distribute it
evenly. Burlap lowers the risk.

In short, burlap is the right up there with the printing press, in terms of
great inventions.

Patchy Lawn carlos1981 Lawns 0 13-04-2009 04:12 PM
New house, have seeded the garden but very patchy tony w Lawns 8 03-06-2008 10:34 PM
Patchy Germination on Reseeded Lawn -- Wait or Panic? BluesCat Lawns 3 18-10-2005 04:20 PM
patchy Lawn David Lawns 1 17-03-2005 10:23 AM
Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 12:09 AM