GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to get rid of mold on Garden Hose? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/95158-how-get-rid-mold-garden-hose.html)

[email protected] 01-06-2005 08:48 PM

How to get rid of mold on Garden Hose?

Anyone have a solution to get rid of those ugly black spots that
accumulate on a hose that is wrapped around one of those wind-up
devices? I guess water drips in/around the hose and seeing as it's
probably darker in the middle/end, the hose gets ugly and uglier after
you pull the first 25 feet out. The outer length stays nice, and this
hose is maybe 2 years old... no leaks, cracks or whatever, but the
missus wants me to clean it.

Thought about bleach, but will that actually attack the vinyl and make
it sticky? Looking for a solution that costs less than tossing the
hose and buying a new one when other than the black spots... there's
nothing wrong with it.

TIA! Mike

Warren 01-06-2005 11:42 PM

wrote:
Anyone have a solution to get rid of those ugly black spots that
accumulate on a hose that is wrapped around one of those wind-up
devices? I guess water drips in/around the hose and seeing as it's
probably darker in the middle/end, the hose gets ugly and uglier after
you pull the first 25 feet out. The outer length stays nice, and this
hose is maybe 2 years old... no leaks, cracks or whatever, but the
missus wants me to clean it.

Cleaning it is only a temporary fix. It's going to keep coming back until
you take care of the cause. Find the leak, and fix it. Unroll the hose, and
let it sit in the air and the sunlight to let the anaerobic mold die. Then
wipe it off with a rag dampened with detergent, and let it dry completely
before rolling it up again. If you fixed the moisture problem, the mold
won't come back. If you didn't fix the moisture problem, it really doesn't
matter what you clean it with because the mold will come back.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html

Rolling Thunder 02-06-2005 05:03 PM

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:48:08 -0400, wrote:

Anyone have a solution to get rid of those ugly black spots that
accumulate on a hose that is wrapped around one of those wind-up
devices? I guess water drips in/around the hose and seeing as it's
probably darker in the middle/end, the hose gets ugly and uglier after
you pull the first 25 feet out. The outer length stays nice, and this
hose is maybe 2 years old... no leaks, cracks or whatever, but the
missus wants me to clean it.

Thought about bleach, but will that actually attack the vinyl and make
it sticky? Looking for a solution that costs less than tossing the
hose and buying a new one when other than the black spots... there's
nothing wrong with it.

TIA! Mike

Try deck cleaner. Worked on a lawn chair with mold on the plastic.

Thunder

JohnH 02-06-2005 10:26 PM

Thought about bleach, but will that actually attack the vinyl and make
it sticky?

Tilex ought to work pretty well, but as Warren said, you need to cure the
problem, not the symptom.

Craig[_3_] 08-08-2018 02:14 AM

How to get rid of mold on Garden Hose?

replying to Doug Kanter, Craig wrote:
There is a trick I learned but you have to do it when the hose is new. Take
paste wax and cover the whole hose and rub it in and then clean it off. This
worked for me.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/lawn-g...hose-5304-.htm