Old 01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
geezer

Default Question on my Ward's Signature TMO-3500006 42" Rider Mower

I have a battery problem. Seems it will never start the mower after
sitting unused between mowings. I can give the battery a quick-charge
and it will start the mower.

I measure just over 12V on the posts while the mower is running, but
only about 10V after motor is off. The battery is less than a year
old - and I bought it because the older battery did the same thing,
and I figgered a new battery would solve the problem. It didn't.

I thought some told me that there should be an alternator on this
beast that would charge the battery while mowing. Is that so?
I sure cannot find it in my manual/diagrams. I thought maybe it needs
replacing. Where would it be?

Anyone?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Ralph Mowery

"geezer" wrote in message
I have a battery problem. Seems it will never start the mower after
sitting unused between mowings. I can give the battery a quick-charge
and it will start the mower.

I measure just over 12V on the posts while the mower is running, but
only about 10V after motor is off. The battery is less than a year
old - and I bought it because the older battery did the same thing,
and I figgered a new battery would solve the problem. It didn't.

I thought some told me that there should be an alternator on this
beast that would charge the battery while mowing. Is that so?
I sure cannot find it in my manual/diagrams. I thought maybe it needs
replacing. Where would it be?

Anyone?

In general the battery should show 12.6 volts if it is fully charged and has
been sitting for a while. While the battery is charging with the motor
running it should show between 13 and 14 volts, normally closer to 14 volts
maybe more at high motor speeds. You may need to check your meter with your
car to see if it is accurate. Showing 10 volts could be a shorted cell in
the battery or a very weak one. It takes more than 12.6 volts with a
running motor to charge a battery.

While most mowers will not have a seperate alternator like a car, it will
have a charging system . Usually a coil of wire around the flywheel and
magnets on the flywheel.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 PM
geezer

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:10:39 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

In general the battery should show 12.6 volts if it is fully charged and has
been sitting for a while. While the battery is charging with the motor
running it should show between 13 and 14 volts, normally closer to 14 volts
maybe more at high motor speeds. You may need to check your meter with your
car to see if it is accurate. Showing 10 volts could be a shorted cell in
the battery or a very weak one. It takes more than 12.6 volts with a
running motor to charge a battery.

I know my meter is accurate - I use it frequently on the car - golf
car etc. The battery is one of those 'no' maintenance types, so I
have no access to the cells. Since I do not get 13-14 volts with
motor running, I have to assume no charge is occurring. Right now the
battery is sitting disconnected. I want to see if there is a drain I
don't know about.

While most mowers will not have a seperate alternator like a car, it will
have a charging system . Usually a coil of wire around the flywheel and
magnets on the flywheel.

I guess replacing the 'alternator' is not possible then.

Thank you for response.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Gene

wrote:

In general the battery should show 12.6 volts if it is fully charged and has
been sitting for a while. While the battery is charging with the motor
running it should show between 13 and 14 volts, normally closer to 14 volts
maybe more at high motor speeds. You may need to check your meter with your
car to see if it is accurate. Showing 10 volts could be a shorted cell in
the battery or a very weak one. It takes more than 12.6 volts with a
running motor to charge a battery.

I know my meter is accurate - I use it frequently on the car - golf
car etc. The battery is one of those 'no' maintenance types, so I
have no access to the cells. Since I do not get 13-14 volts with
motor running, I have to assume no charge is occurring. Right now the
battery is sitting disconnected. I want to see if there is a drain I
don't know about.

Could be...I had a car that the diode blew and even sititng the darn
thing would drain the battery...