Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Mel

Default Water hammer

I recently replaced the solenoids on my two Lawn Genie automatic anti-siphon
lawn sprinkler valves and now there is water hammer when they shut off.
They come on go off individually, back to back. I've had the valves for
several years and this is the time I've replaced the solenoids. Is there a
fix for the water hammer?

Old 02-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Pagan

"Mel" wrote in message
I recently replaced the solenoids on my two Lawn Genie automatic

anti-siphon
lawn sprinkler valves and now there is water hammer when they shut off.
They come on go off individually, back to back. I've had the valves for
several years and this is the time I've replaced the solenoids. Is there

fix for the water hammer?

The 'hammer' comes from all the water in the pipe run leading to your valves
being stopped all the sudden. This can happen with sinks and elsewhere
inside the home.

The usual fix is to run a pipe straight up and cap it, close to the valve.
Air will be trapped in there, acting like a shock absorber for the water.

Pagan

Old 02-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Lyndell Thompson

If you can add a tank or piece of pipe vertically, in front of the valves,
you can reduce the effects of water hammer. High water pressure is the
culprit. I work with ice machines that have this same problem. The mfg.
changes vendors on valves and all of the sudden you have these noises. The
idea behind the tank or length of vertical pipe, is that all water pipes
have a little air in them. If you can trap a little of this air, you can
create a shock absorber (so to speak) th reduce but probalbly not stop the
hammering. This will also let the valves last longer and is most likely what
caused the old valves to fail. When I built my house, I installed a 1'
length of 1" copper pipe w/ a cap, on each cold and hot faucet supply line.
I tee'd them into the supply line inside the wall and added a enough
standard pipe to make sure they 1" pipe would be higher than any fixture
they were serving. PVC pipe would work for your application. Follow pressure
glueing info.
Good luck Lyndell

P.S. If there is a lot of construction in your area, the water company has
been forced to increase pressure to keep up with demand. I forgot to mention
that a water pressure regulating valve (inlet side of the valves) would also
do the trick.