Old 13-06-2005, 07:08 PM

"I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in
a location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart."

Pics?

Old 13-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

Lime.

The mafia (which does not really exist) swears by lime.

Old 13-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Doug Kanter

How did the damned thing get in there? Here's an idea: Get thee to a fishing
tackle shop. Get a spool of the heaviest monofilament line they've got, and
either a very heavy lure with large treble hooks, or have them help you rig
treble hooks with an inline trolling sinker. Start fishing.

"Alan" wrote in message
Problem is the way the deck was constructed, I can't pop up any boards and
get to him. Stupid design, but my only option is to either dismantle a
huge section of deck or cut into it.

Alan

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or
powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan

Pop a couple of decking boards up, reach down and pull that sucker out.
Get him quick while he still has rigormortis. Once he bloats, you risk
pulling a limb off or popping him open and releasing thousands of
maggots.

Good luck.

Old 13-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Doug Kanter

Does it know where you live? Call around to some real hardware stores and
see if one of them has a snow rake. That's a shovel sort of an affair with
VERY long aluminum snap-together poles. Rig up something with a snare, or
some large fish hooks.

Weren't you ever a girl scout???

Old 13-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Art Todesco

I had something dead under my decking.
It must have been a possum. It stunk
pretty bad. I happened to have several
large quart bottles of Listerine. I dumped
them were it seemed to smell worst and
where the dogs thought it was. Smelled
like a
dentist's office for several days and
then it went away.

Old 14-06-2005, 12:12 AM
PipeDown

Sounds like opening up the deck is not an option.

Start with the lime and after that has had a day or two to work, dump some
dirt or sand on the whole mess to bury it and then forget about it. Seal up
any access so that it can't happen again.

Option 2: get it real wet and go on vacation for 3 weeks.

"Alan" wrote in message
Problem is the way the deck was constructed, I can't pop up any boards and
get to him. Stupid design, but my only option is to either dismantle a
huge section of deck or cut into it.

Alan

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

Old 14-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Olaf

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
. ..
I had something dead under my decking.
It must have been a possum. It stunk
pretty bad. I happened to have several
large quart bottles of Listerine. I dumped
them were it seemed to smell worst and
where the dogs thought it was. Smelled
like a
dentist's office for several days and
then it went away.

yick. G

You wouldn't really want to kill the bacteria if you intended to let it rot.

Lovely topic.....

Old 14-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Dan J.S.

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan

I have a question. Did you poison the raccoon and it died in its home? I
have a family of raccoons living under my deck, was thinking about
poisoning, but worried they will die under the deck. Interesting dilemma.

Old 14-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Mel-Donnie Kelly

Years ago when we would go coon hunting and the coon went in a ground
hog hole and died we would take a length of barbed wire and bend a crank
on the end. We wuld put the other end down the whole and crank the wire.
The Barbs would wrap up in the fur and we could pull the coon out. That
was when coons wew worth $5 and $5 was worth $5. It worked everytime.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down
town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Frank Rosenbaum

I presume that the deck is at or near ground level.

Can you stick something stiff down between the boards and move it to a place
where you can reach it?
Piano wire is very stiff in the larger sizes. Even a piece of lattice or one
of those driveway reflector posts.

Now that I'v had my say, I am new to the group searching for an answer to my
sod delema.
I'll continue my search.

Thanks.

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
calhoun

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
I presume that the deck is at or near ground level.

Can you stick something stiff down between the boards and move it to a
place where you can reach it?
Piano wire is very stiff in the larger sizes. Even a piece of lattice or
one of those driveway reflector posts.

Now that I'v had my say, I am new to the group searching for an answer to
my sod delema.
I'll continue my search.

Thanks.

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan

Taking up a couple of deck boards (especially if they are screwed down) is
not difficult.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Rich Greenberg

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan

I have a tool that is handy for such tasks. I took the 10' fiberglass
pole from a bicycle flag, removed the flag, and hose clamped a hook made
of some brass rod (approx 1/8") to the end. Allows me to reach into
lots of places.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Tellmeaboutit

Drive around town until you find a guy standing on the street asking for
money. Tell him to get in, you have a job for him to do. Get him to do it,
then feed him lunch.

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
I presume that the deck is at or near ground level.

Can you stick something stiff down between the boards and move it to a
place where you can reach it?
Piano wire is very stiff in the larger sizes. Even a piece of lattice or
one of those driveway reflector posts.

Now that I'v had my say, I am new to the group searching for an answer to
my sod delema.
I'll continue my search.

Thanks.

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 AM
mm

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:50:42 -0400, "Frank Rosenbaum"
wrote:

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have a dead raccoon trapped under my deck. Problem is that it is in a
location I can't reach unless I tear the deck apart. I have no problem
letting it decompose naturally but the stench is bad and I am worried
about
disease.

Personally I don't think it will cause disease. Depressing topic but
someone on the news pointed out that the dead bodies from Katrina
wouldn't cause disease even if they weren't buried quickly.

It is people or animals who die from communicable diseases that are a
health risk. Of course maybe you don't know what killed the raccoon.

But soon the bugs and flies will find it and eat it. When they are
done, they'll leave. What part of the country are you in and how
long has it been there?

I can see it through the cracks in the deck and can pour liquid or powder
(maybe) on the carcass.

The traditional substance is lime. a powder, white, I think. It's
used iirc when people are afraid of contagion and there are too many
bodies to bury them right away. Maybe I'm thinking of cases when
cattle die. It speeds decomposition iiuc. I think you can buy it at
garden stores, where it is sold to change the pH of soil iirc. Sure,
don't people spread it on lawns for that reason?

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated as I am
trying to avoid tearing
apart the deck.

Thanks.

Alan

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Please help ID this fly trapped on an apple-maggot trap cassiope Gardening 0 20-05-2010 05:55 AM
Beer trapped worked a treat for the snails, many thanks col Australia 5 09-09-2007 12:02 PM
Bambi Trapped, Released Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 2 04-02-2005 10:41 PM
Trapped! Arthur United Kingdom 75 07-01-2004 10:10 PM
trapped skunk Hillary Israeli Edible Gardening 25 05-06-2003 08:32 PM