Old 25-06-2005, 01:08 PM
James

Default Roof Rain Diverters ??

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Old 25-06-2005, 02:11 PM
willshak

On 6/25/2005 8:08 AM US(ET), James took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Get a piece of aluminum drip edge and install it upside down.

--
Bill
Old 25-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Colbyt

"James" wrote in message

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing

supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

I know exactly what you are looking for. They may be a field made item.

Here is a link to a drawing online:

http://www.copper.org/applications/a...diverters.html

You might also refine your search by using the term curb instaead of
diverter.

Colbyt

Old 25-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Travis Jordan

James wrote:
Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

HD in west central Florida stocks them. Maybe your local store can
order them?

Old 25-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote in message
news

"James" wrote in message

[...]

To add to my post. Here is the product you are looking for as a ready made:

http://www.bendtek.com/p_rain_diverter.asp

Colbyt

Old 25-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Lil' Dave

"James" wrote in message

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing

supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

If the local building/lumber supply store does not have it, seek out some
12" rolled flashing. You can cut it to length and width, then bend it as
needed to match the pitch of the roof. You'll need a firm straight-edge
(2X4 or wider), metal shears, a hammer, and some patience if you've never
attempted this before. You'll have plenty of flashing left for all the
areas of the roof you want this way.

Slide the result under the shingles. You will have to modify the shingles
as they're too long now where they were hanging over the eave above the
door. Mark the pitch of the roof, and the plumb line with framing square on
a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Use this as a general reference as to
when the angle of the flashing is correct while you're pounding on it. The
nailing of the flashing should occur under the shingles, otherwise it will
leak.

Old 25-06-2005, 03:32 PM
James

(from the original post)

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up
there...................................

..

Old 25-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Ray

Look here - whole bunch of relevant information.
http://www.google.com/search?biw=981...oogle+ Search

Old 25-06-2005, 04:14 PM
puddles

"James" wrote in message

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

My house has a section of gutter attached to the roof as a diverter.

I did the same thing over my Rec Room door (upstairs with a landing).

Puddles

Old 25-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Robert Allison

James wrote:

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

FWIW, of the 50 or so of these that I have installed, I have
never bought a product that was specifically called a "Rain
diverter". We always use wall angle and install it in the
configuration needed to divert the water.

However, we do not buy it from Home Depot. I always get my
flashing from our roofing supply, where it is heavier gauge
and available in a variety of sizes and finishes.

I usually buy a colored section that is close to the roof
color and use that. Try a roofing supply.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old 25-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Stretch

I just put a piece of galvanized sheet metal on the roof about 3
shingles op from the edge of the roof. I bent a 2" wide 90 degree in a
6" wide piece of metal 4 feet long. slid it under the shingles, no
nails. I used some clear silicone to hold it in place. When we
replaced the roof years later, we had gutters installed.

Stretch

Old 25-06-2005, 09:28 PM
James

(from the original post)

Old 26-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Doug Kanter

"James" wrote in message

I need a rain diverter to go on my roof over my front door.

I can't find them anywhere !! I have called all of my local roofing
supply
companies, and none of them stock them. Other building supply places
don't have them.

I don't want to cut a piece of tin and stick it up there. Someone makes
these products and I believe they are sold locally, as I see them on other
houses.

Of course, I have also tried Home Depot and Lowe's, but no luck.

Anyone know of a chain that would sell this product please ??

How about having a heating contractor make you something nice out of duct
metal? Some of those people are real artists with tin snips and benders.
Then, sand it, clean the hell out of it, go get some Rustoleum primer &
spray paint, and make it whatever color blends in best with your shingles
and/or gutter.

Old 26-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Jmagerl

There was a recent episode of "Ask this old House" in which they made a rain
diverter (they called it a cricket) out of aluminum drip edging that they
painted black to match the shingles. Seemed simple enough