GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   killing off lawn organically in order to regrow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/96513-re-killing-off-lawn-organically-order-regrow.html)

Noozer 27-06-2005 03:56 AM

killing off lawn organically in order to regrow

wrote in message
news:1119836218.465cb5eeba9c13bdbfde5177b6e21644@m eganetnews2...
I have a yard that is infested with creeping charlie, clover, etc. the
soil
is poor with high clay content. I want to kill off the entire lawn
without
using chemical and reseed in the fall in the hopes that I have a decent
lawn
to work with in the spring. I live in zone 4-5. any recommendation?

Yup... plow it under. Mix in some peat or other organic material to help
break up the clay a bit (I've heard that gypsum can be used - never tried
myself). Turn it over/mix it up every week or so to prevent anything left
from taking hold.

Steveo 27-06-2005 11:34 AM

wrote:
I have a yard that is infested with creeping charlie, clover, etc. the
soil is poor with high clay content. I want to kill off the entire lawn
without using chemical and reseed in the fall in the hopes that I have a
decent lawn to work with in the spring. I live in zone 4-5. any
recommendation? thanks.

Flame thrower.

Gene 27-06-2005 12:47 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:36:56 GMT, wrote:

I have a yard that is infested with creeping charlie, clover, etc. the soil
is poor with high clay content. I want to kill off the entire lawn without
using chemical and reseed in the fall in the hopes that I have a decent lawn
to work with in the spring. I live in zone 4-5. any recommendation?
thanks.

10 dogs running around daily would do it..Take about a month

Peter H 27-06-2005 11:40 PM

wrote in message
news:1119836218.465cb5eeba9c13bdbfde5177b6e21644@m eganetnews2...
I have a yard that is infested with creeping charlie, clover, etc. the

soil
is poor with high clay content. I want to kill off the entire lawn

without
using chemical and reseed in the fall in the hopes that I have a decent

lawn
to work with in the spring. I live in zone 4-5. any recommendation?
thanks.

If you have an aversion to lawn chemicals and you're not going to use a
weedkiller on the new lawn you are just wasting your time with this project.
The weeds will take over when the new lawn tries to establish itself. You
might as well keep your existing lawn.

Peter H