Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 AM
willshak

Default Goof of the day.

My leaf blower ran out of 2 cycle mix today. I keep a milk gallon jug of
ready mixed fuel in the garden shed. I took the jug and filled the tank
in the blower. I started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds then
died. No amount of fiddling with the choke or gas lever would allow the
machine to run. I thought perhaps the fuel had gone bad in the shed so I
decided to mix up another batch. When I went to dump out the old
contents of the jug, I happened to see a hand written magic marker note
on the jug. "Weed-be Gone. 2 Oz per gallon". Well, I am sure no weeds
will be growing in my leaf blower. :-)

--
Bill
Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Michelle P

2 cycle mix will eventually dissolve the milk jug. Use a container
specified for gasoline.
Michelle

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 AM
willshak

On 7/11/2005 8:04 PM US(ET), Michelle P took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

2 cycle mix will eventually dissolve the milk jug. Use a container
specified for gasoline.
Michelle

Everybody says this, but that jug has been in there for 3 years and is
still intact. Perhaps the plastic jugs I get are different than others.
Mine say HDPE ( high density polyethelene) which is the same material
that is used for automobile gas tanks..

Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Edgar

"willshak" wrote in message
My leaf blower ran out of 2 cycle mix today. I keep a milk gallon jug of
ready mixed fuel in the garden shed. I took the jug and filled the tank
in the blower. I started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds then
died. No amount of fiddling with the choke or gas lever would allow the
machine to run. I thought perhaps the fuel had gone bad in the shed so I
decided to mix up another batch. When I went to dump out the old
contents of the jug, I happened to see a hand written magic marker note
on the jug. "Weed-be Gone. 2 Oz per gallon". Well, I am sure no weeds
will be growing in my leaf blower. :-)

OH NO!

I chained a metal tag on the handle of my gas jug describing it as "TWO
CYCLE" gas (so I don't do a boo boo).
And, I ALWAYS mix full batches (with a completely empty container) not
partials (never; gee, I think I'll use about that much oil).

You may have lucked out. The motor may have 'quit' before it seized. It's
worth a look inside before you junk it.

^^

Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Warren

willshak wrote:
On 7/11/2005 8:04 PM US(ET), Michelle P took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

2 cycle mix will eventually dissolve the milk jug. Use a container
specified for gasoline.
Michelle

Everybody says this, but that jug has been in there for 3 years and is
still intact. Perhaps the plastic jugs I get are different than others.
Mine say HDPE ( high density polyethelene) which is the same material that
is used for automobile gas tanks..

And is it properly vented, or do you just have a bomb sitting around?

For gosh sakes, containers designed to safely hold gas can be bought very
inexpensively. Stop taking a chance with your life, and the life of your
family, the local fire fighters, and anyone else who gets too close to your
house, and get a safe container.

Or are you trying to prove something? If you are, give the rest of us some
warning so we can avoid your house.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 12-07-2005, 07:31 AM
JoeT

"Warren" wrote in message
willshak wrote:
[...]

One would think the "goof of the day" that was described would be proof
enough that the improvised gas "jug" was/is a bad idea. Unless the OP also
incorrectly kept weed b gone in a big red gas can there'd have been no way
to have made this mistake! And just because one can get away with something
for a period of years doesn't make it a safe or sound practice. If something
worthy of the combustable nature of gas occurs the OP can rest assured the
insurance company will happily deny any claims if it's traced to this non
conforming container.

Joe

Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Doug Kanter

"willshak" wrote in message
On 7/11/2005 8:04 PM US(ET), Michelle P took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

2 cycle mix will eventually dissolve the milk jug. Use a container
specified for gasoline.
Michelle

Everybody says this, but that jug has been in there for 3 years and is
still intact. Perhaps the plastic jugs I get are different than others.
Mine say HDPE ( high density polyethelene) which is the same material that
is used for automobile gas tanks..

How friggin' cheap are you??? Regardless of what material it's made of, it's
WAY too thin for storing gasoline. One poke with a pitch fork and your life
may become suddenly more interesting. Go buy a nice red gasoline container.
If you don't agree, stop by your local fire department with your milk jug
full of gasoline and ask them what they think. Hopefully, they'll tie you to
the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle you in the wind until
you come to your senses.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
G Henslee

Doug Kanter wrote:
they'll tie you to
the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle you in the wind until
you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle
you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Nor yours, Clem.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:44 PM
G Henslee

Doug Kanter wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle
you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Nor yours, Clem.

That's why I don't post them to usenet, Jethro.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Doug Kanter

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle
you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Nor yours, Clem.

That's why I don't post them to usenet, Jethro.

Of course you do. You've implied that you think it's brilliant to store
gasoline in containers which often begin leaking milk while still on display
in the supermarket.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM
G Henslee

Doug Kanter wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and dangle
you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Nor yours, Clem.

That's why I don't post them to usenet, Jethro.

Of course you do. You've implied that you think it's brilliant to store
gasoline in containers which often begin leaking milk while still on display
in the supermarket.

Oh, I see you have a total lack of comprehension. In other words you're
a cranial invalid.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"G Henslee" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

they'll tie you to the top of a fire truck ladder, extend it, and
dangle you in the wind until you come to your senses.

Nobody's interested in your fantasies.

Nor yours, Clem.

That's why I don't post them to usenet, Jethro.

Of course you do. You've implied that you think it's brilliant to store
gasoline in containers which often begin leaking milk while still on
display in the supermarket.

Oh, I see you have a total lack of comprehension. In other words you're a
cranial invalid.

You just have a problem with anyone ELSE having strong opinions. The OP is
obviously a loon, and really SHOULD be dangled from a 4 story high ladder
until he's plenty scared to do such a dumb thing again.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Well, I have to say, I finally agree with Doug on something. Not only
is it common sense to use only an approved gas can for gasoline, but
here in NJ it's illegal for a gas station to even fill a container that
is not approved and labeled. Plastics come in many varieties. I;ve
seen some dissolve from gasoline within minutes.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I have to say, I finally agree with Doug on something. Not only
is it common sense to use only an approved gas can for gasoline, but
here in NJ it's illegal for a gas station to even fill a container that
is not approved and labeled. Plastics come in many varieties. I;ve
seen some dissolve from gasoline within minutes.

.....including some cheap siphons sold for that exact purpose at auto supply
stores.