GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/9732-squirrels.html)

Wanda 07-03-2003 06:56 PM

Squirrels

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to keep squirrels out of a bird feeder? My
feeder is on a metal pole. There are tons of squirrels in the neighborhood.
I put up squirrel feeders on the other side of the yard. They still attack
my bird feeders.
Thanks,
Wanda

[email protected] 08-03-2003 04:20 AM

Squirrels

"Wanda" wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to keep squirrels out of a bird feeder? My
feeder is on a metal pole. There are tons of squirrels in the
neighborhood. I put up squirrel feeders on the other side of the yard.
They still attack my bird feeders.
Thanks,
Wanda

Carefully cut a hole in a garbage can lid,(rubber ones are easy)the size of
your pole. Secure it below the feeder..just beware of those jumping
squirrels after this modification....

--
"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when
they needed us."

Wanda 08-03-2003 03:45 PM

Squirrels

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to keep squirrels out of a bird feeder? My
feeder is on a metal pole. There are tons of squirrels in the

neighborhood.
I put up squirrel feeders on the other side of the yard. They still attack
my bird feeders.
Thanks,
Wanda

Thanks for the ideas! I saw the little beggars robbing my feeder today.
There were two of them. One on each side. They would take turns jumping at
the pole and shaking the seeds out onto the ground. (sigh)
Wanda

Steve 08-03-2003 11:22 PM

Squirrels

Look at the rat cones on a ships line. Same concept works well on the pole
holding a feeder. If not for the rat cones on lines holding a ship to the
dock the ship would be infested with rodents.