GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pinecones In Bottom Of Pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/98907-pinecones-bottom-pot.html)

Carmen 23-07-2005 07:19 PM

Pinecones In Bottom Of Pot

Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that might
harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Kanter 23-07-2005 08:18 PM

"Carmen" wrote in message
Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that
might harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want to put them in the put to begin with?

Stubby 23-07-2005 08:19 PM

Carmen wrote:

Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,
underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that might
harm the plant?

Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?

Pine cones will dissolve over time. Try styrofoam "peanuts" instead.

Helen 23-07-2005 08:44 PM

"Carmen" wrote in message =
| Will several mature pine cones placed in the bottom of a large pot,=20
| underneath the dirt (to make it lighter to move) produce anything that =
might=20
| harm the plant?
|=20
| Would it cause the soil to become acid, alkaline, or neither?
|=20
| Thanks in advance.=20
|=20
|=20
Pine 'needles' are often used for mulch. Around gardenias, they help =
retain moisture.
Pine cones? Shouldn't harm...may cause water retention initially, until =
they rot and
die...which would probably be quiet a while. I have a gardenia under a =
pine tree
and it's doing really well. Gardenia's like acid. So I'm not sure what =
(other than
partial shade) the pine tree does, but it does seem a most apros place =
for the gardenia.

Carmen 23-07-2005 09:06 PM

You asked why would I want to put them in the pot to begin with?
Answer: The pot is large & the so is the plant. It will have to be moved
inside during the winter months. Filled with dirt, it would be too heavy for
me to lift & transport. Therefore, if I replace the lower portion of dirt
with a light weight material, I would be able to lift it to bring it inside.

Doug Kanter 24-07-2005 02:30 AM

Seems to me that if you fill enough of the pot with pine cones, you may as
well just use a smaller pot. Doesn't have to be smaller in all dimensions -
get the same width, but a shorter pot. My other thought is that as the pine
cones decompose, the soil's going to collapse. So...smaller pot?