Old 16-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Luna

Default edibles to plant?

I am researching edibles to plant this fall for my community garden near
Chapel Hill. We have an established heirloom apple orchard but need to
plant plums, cherries, pears, possibly peaches, and ??? Pecans and
chestnuts are on our list, as well as figs and berries.
I'm having a hard time figuring out which varieties will be best in this
area, especially considering that these plant will be organic. What has
worked for other local gardeners? And, is there an affordable local source
for plants?
Thanks for any wisdom,
Hannah

Old 16-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Steve

In article et,
Luna wrote:
I am researching edibles to plant this fall for my community garden near
Chapel Hill. We have an established heirloom apple orchard but need to
plant plums, cherries, pears, possibly peaches, and ??? Pecans and
chestnuts are on our list, as well as figs and berries.

Are you mostly interested in fruit? The NC State Cooperative Extension
Service has a few publications giving recommended varieties and growing
guidelines for North Carolina:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag28.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html

I have two types of figs (brown turkey and celeste). Both do well here,
but a cold winter or spring can hurt them. A cold snap after some warmer
weather this spring prevented any fruiting this year, but the trees are
otherwise healthy. Our blueberries did great this year, really enjoying
the cold wet spring, but I am not sure of the varieties since they were
planted by the previous owners of the property. I have a damsom plum
and d'anjou pear which are doing well and a seckel pear which is doing
OK, but all are still too young to produce fruit yet. We also have a
peach tree (variety unknown), but it is not very healthy and is
bothered by insects. Peaches can also be very sensitive to the weather.
Everthing is by organic methods which works well for everything except
the peach (which I am considering taking down and replacing with
something else).

--
Steve

Old 17-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Luna

Are you mostly interested in fruit? The NC State Cooperative Extension
Service has a few publications giving recommended varieties and growing
guidelines for North Carolina:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag28.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html

snip

Thanks for the info, Steve. I am looking mostly for fruits. We already
have a large apple orchard, so I am mainly looking for hardy varieties of
pear, plum, cherry . . and anything else that might do well.
I just had my first fresh figs of the year off a neighbor's plant - mmm! I
can't wait till our garden is growing out at the farm.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Hannah

Old 17-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Raleighgirl

"Luna" wrote in message
nk.net...

| Are you mostly interested in fruit? The NC State Cooperative
Extension
| Service has a few publications giving recommended varieties
and growing
| guidelines for North Carolina:
|
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag28.html
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
|
| snip
|
| Thanks for the info, Steve. I am looking mostly for fruits.
We already
| have a large apple orchard, so I am mainly looking for hardy
varieties of
| pear, plum, cherry . . and anything else that might do well.
| I just had my first fresh figs of the year off a neighbor's
plant - mmm! I
| can't wait till our garden is growing out at the farm.
| Thanks for your suggestions!
| Hannah

I absolutely second the recommendation for blueberries! I have 2
plants of 2 different kinds and have had fruit continuously since
July (2 plants produced early, 2 later). Blueberries have a very
low "hassle-factor" in that you plant them in a sunny spot, cover
them with fabric netting (NOT bird netting!) after they set and
let 'em rip! I've picked about a quart of berries every other
day. WONDERFUL.
Raleighgirl

Old 17-08-2005, 03:35 PM

On 2005-08-17, Raleighgirl wrote:

"Luna" wrote in message
nk.net...

| Are you mostly interested in fruit? The NC State Cooperative
Extension
| Service has a few publications giving recommended varieties
and growing
| guidelines for North Carolina:
|
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag28.html
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
| http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
|
| snip
|
| Thanks for the info, Steve. I am looking mostly for fruits.
We already
| have a large apple orchard, so I am mainly looking for hardy
varieties of
| pear, plum, cherry . . and anything else that might do well.
| I just had my first fresh figs of the year off a neighbor's
plant - mmm! I
| can't wait till our garden is growing out at the farm.
| Thanks for your suggestions!
| Hannah

I absolutely second the recommendation for blueberries! I have 2
plants of 2 different kinds and have had fruit continuously since
July (2 plants produced early, 2 later). Blueberries have a very
low "hassle-factor" in that you plant them in a sunny spot, cover
them with fabric netting (NOT bird netting!) after they set and
let 'em rip! I've picked about a quart of berries every other
day. WONDERFUL.
Raleighgirl

What is fabric netting versus bird netting? I tried a net years ago and
quit after I found a bird's leg caught in it. Granted I did not have it
stretched taunt but loose and folded at the bottom.

is a garbage address.

Old 17-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Raleighgirl

wrote in message
. ..
| What is fabric netting versus bird netting? I tried a net
years ago and
| quit after I found a bird's leg caught in it. Granted I did
not have it
| stretched taunt but loose and folded at the bottom.

O yea, after finding carcasses in the bird netting, I abandoned
that idea years ago. I don't sew so this is the best I can do
Wes: Someone said it's tool (phonetic, can't figure out how it's
spelled!) like for under flouncy skirts. It's available at any
fabric store, in a wide range of colors, for $1. per yard. The
holes are very, very small but the blueberry bushes don't mind.
The content is definitely synethetic.
Raleighgirl

Old 17-08-2005, 11:48 PM

On 2005-08-17, Raleighgirl wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
| What is fabric netting versus bird netting? I tried a net
years ago and
| quit after I found a bird's leg caught in it. Granted I did
not have it
| stretched taunt but loose and folded at the bottom.

O yea, after finding carcasses in the bird netting, I abandoned
that idea years ago. I don't sew so this is the best I can do
Wes: Someone said it's tool (phonetic, can't figure out how it's
spelled!) like for under flouncy skirts. It's available at any

Tulle?

http://www.papermart.com/wedding_wel...act&GOKEY=tule

I think if I put it on a frame and stretched it tight that I would not
have a bird trap. Especially the smallest netting I have seen.
Alas that takes time.

IT looks like what you describe. I think some people call it nylon net.
fabric store, in a wide range of colors, for $1. per yard. The
holes are very, very small but the blueberry bushes don't mind.
The content is definitely synethetic.
Raleighgirl

| --
| Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
please.

| is a garbage address.

is a garbage address.
Old 18-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Raleighgirl

wrote in message
. ..
| On 2005-08-17, Raleighgirl wrote:
|
| wrote in message
| . ..
| | What is fabric netting versus bird netting? I tried a net
| years ago and
| | quit after I found a bird's leg caught in it. Granted I did
| not have it
| | stretched taunt but loose and folded at the bottom.
|
| O yea, after finding carcasses in the bird netting, I
abandoned
| that idea years ago. I don't sew so this is the best I can
do
| Wes: Someone said it's tool (phonetic, can't figure out how
it's
| spelled!) like for under flouncy skirts. It's available at
any

| Tulle?

http://www.papermart.com/wedding_wel...act&GOKEY=tule

Yep, that's it except I bought it in a 6' width. No need to make
a frame. We draped it over the top then used twist ties to cover
the sides. It's easy cuz you just removed the twisties to pick.
The hubbie made a frame, etc for the strawberries; IMHO it was
more hassle than it's worth.
Jw

| I think if I put it on a frame and stretched it tight that I
would not
| have a bird trap. Especially the smallest netting I have seen.
| Alas that takes time.
|
| IT looks like what you describe. I think some people call it
nylon net.
| fabric store, in a wide range of colors, for $1. per yard.
The
| holes are very, very small but the blueberry bushes don't
mind.
| The content is definitely synethetic.
| Raleighgirl
|
| | --
| | Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email
me
| please.
| |
| | is a garbage address.
|

| --
| Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
please.

is a garbage address.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:04 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Yep, that's it except I bought it in a 6' width. No need to make
a frame. We draped it over the top then used twist ties to cover
the sides. It's easy cuz you just removed the twisties to pick.
The hubbie made a frame, etc for the strawberries; IMHO it was
more hassle than it's worth.

My blueberry "bushes" are over 25 years old, and this year I had to buy
15x30 bird netting (two pieces, very pricey). The 15' barely covered them,
even though we decapitate the darn things twice a year!

So far I know I lose the berries closest to the holes in the netting, but in
six years of using the bird netting, I have not had a single bird caught in
it. I just drape it over the plants and let it touch the ground on both
sides.

This weekend we took the netting off and put it away and I harvested the
last handful of berries, my first week of Sept ritual.

When the bushes were in shade half the day, the berries lasted a couple of
weeks longer each year than they do now they are in full sun most of the
day. But they were probably well established before the (now-gone) tree
grew up big enough to shade them!!!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)