GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bumper crop of weeds... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/10306-bumper-crop-weeds.html)

Doctoroe 13-03-2003 09:45 PM

Bumper crop of weeds...

Ahhh... spring has sprung, the sky is blue the breeze is balmy and we
have a bumper crop of weeds coming up in last year's garden plot.
They seem to be two types of ground cover type weeds with little
blooms..mostly white, some blue or violet color. Here is a photo of
some of them.
http://www.farmphoto.com/homestead/m....asp?mid=36173

Any expert weeders out there know what these are?
Thanks

Arwen Long 15-03-2003 12:32 AM

Bumper crop of weeds...

Hmm... I'm on a search for a good non-mow groundcover, so if you're
getting rid of those then let me know first...
How often do people post solicitations for weeds? ;)

[email protected] 15-03-2003 03:08 PM

Bumper crop of weeds...

In article ,
Doctoroe wrote:
They seem to be two types of ground cover type weeds with little
blooms..mostly white, some blue or violet color. Here is a photo of
some of them.

Without a closeup to confirm, I'd guess the white flowering one is
chickweed and the ones with the violet flowers are an ajuga. They're
both quick to take over the vegetable garden here in the spring.

--
Steve

Doctoroe 15-03-2003 03:56 PM

Bumper crop of weeds...

I'm not sure you'd want these, Arwen. They seem to fade away when it
gets hot.
I am sure you want a groundcover that stays in place all year.
Asiatic Jasimine is great for this.. periwinkel is good... but I would
stay away from these kinds of weeds if I were you :)