Old 01-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Melon question

Hello,
My volunteer cucumber turned out to be a melon. I have never
before had any melons I've grown survive. They always rot before they
get ripe, but these two look like they may actually make it.
They look like they may be the type one sees in "quality" grocery
stores, like Weaver St. Market. In the store they are very large
cantelopes, light skin with the usual webbing, with lighter sides with
dirt where they have lain on the ground. They look much more natural
than the commercial cantelope, rock hard, dark green with beige
webbing.
Right now my melons are dark green. I thought they might be
small, rounder, watermelons. But last week they started forming the
beige webbing. They are much bigger than the commercial cantelopes.
My question is:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?
Thanks.
Kira
Old 01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Kira Dirlik wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...935010165.html

Daniel B. Martin
Old 01-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Raleighgirl

Cantaloupes "slip" when ripe, i.e., they will easily pull from
the vine.
Raleighgirl

Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Steve

In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

Most American cantaloupes (which are really muskmelons), are ready to
pick when they slip off the vine, i.e. the fruit comes off the vine
without cutting or hard pulling when you lift it with just a little
pressure. Smell is also a good indicator.

--
Steve

Old 02-09-2005, 06:17 PM

On 2005-09-01, Steve wrote:
In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

Most American cantaloupes (which are really muskmelons), are ready to
pick when they slip off the vine, i.e. the fruit comes off the vine
without cutting or hard pulling when you lift it with just a little
pressure. Smell is also a good indicator.

and to prevent rot, get them off the ground. A piece of board or a
couple bricks under them.

is a garbage address.

collecting melon seeds question T[_4_] Edible Gardening 22 26-06-2016 01:30 AM
Melon ripening question Zoot Gardening 5 15-10-2008 07:10 AM
update on melon plants, and pruning question fisherman34 Edible Gardening 1 25-06-2006 03:15 PM
Question: Melon Protection George Tirebiter Texas 2 08-06-2003 01:56 AM
melon seed Pietje Bell Gardening 6 26-01-2003 01:32 PM