Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 AM
ncstockguy

Default best perennial flowers?

We would appreciate any suggestions for overall best perennial flowers.
The critera: That they bloom most of the summer. Take very little
maintenance, don't require a lot of water, and can take hot sun from
1pm thru the rest of the afternoon.
Any suggestions? We've got a spot in front of the house that needs
flowers. The soil is pretty good, so that's not a major factor.
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Raleighgirl

You didn't give enough details such as tall or bushy, etc but
some of my favorites a
Dahlias (multiple colors!), they can be very tall.
Mexican petunias (purple flower, dark foliage), 3' tall.
Rudbekias (long petaled black-eyed susans), bloom for a long,
long time.
Miss Huff lantana (bushy and tall, yellows and pinks). Attracts
birds and bees. Bloom profusely.
Altho not a perennial, I love cleomes (spider lilies). Reseed
themselves and are very striking.
Raleighgirl

oups.com...

Old 05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
tomatolord

brazilian verbena

Wife calls it verbena on a stick.

Tall - purple flowers that once they go to seed the finches love

We also plant some chili peppers - now they have purple leaves and the
chilis are starting to turn different color - we only pick about 1/2 of the
peppers and let the rest go to seed for next years plants.

The red verbenas will do well

tomatolord

Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
robin

we have totally compacted, clay soil. we got a pick up load of compost for
$15 bucks at the durham landfill and planted plants in that, on top of the
clay. we have had great success with zinnas, big and little marigolds,
asian lillies, and butterfly bushes. they all take and minimum of water and
care, will also take a beating by the sun, and bloom their little hearts out
all summer.

robin in durham

Old 08-09-2005, 11:44 PM
ncstockguy

Thanks folks. Some good ideas there. Hadn't thought about dahlias or
brazilian verbena. Are dahlias perennials or annuals? Actually will
probably plant a mix of shorter and taller flowers.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
tomatolord

My dahlias are perennials - they do well every year, but do better toward
the beginning of summer versus the end.

ups.com...

Perennial help becky95 United Kingdom 1 31-03-2009 08:12 PM
Perennial pruning Dvd United Kingdom 6 16-05-2004 02:06 PM
Favorite perennial vines? Elizabeth North Carolina 13 08-03-2003 02:08 AM
Perennial questions Jayebea Gardening 6 29-01-2003 06:46 AM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM