GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning Nellie Stevens holly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/104435-pruning-nellie-stevens-holly.html)

Steve Holzworth 08-09-2005 09:54 PM

Pruning Nellie Stevens holly

I have a hedge of Nellie Stevens that is starting to get a bit "arm-y"
(it's not growing up excessively, it's throwing out long branches). How
severely and when can I cut it back to promote density instead of long
limbs? The plants are about seven-eight feet tall at this point. It's
been in the ground for a number of years, but this is the first year
that it seems to have bolted in this fashion.

Baine Carruthers 09-09-2005 11:14 AM

Steve

It sounds like you might want to shear the entire plant if not dense enough
but that's probably overkill. I have found that Nellie's generally only
require some occasional hand pruning to keep their shape.

--
Baine