Old 09-09-2005, 11:57 PM
User

Default 55 gal drums/large water tanks

I''m looking for some water tanks to use as a cistern for watering a lawn
this fall. Previously in this group people have posted information on where
to find used 55 gal drums.
If someone could point me in the direction of some 55 gal or larger
containers that would be suitable for holding water, and could be gotten
free or cheap, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has one of those huge
inflatable pools that holds about 1000 gallons that they want to chuck for
liability reasons, that would work, too.
Thank you,
Ruben

Old 10-09-2005, 03:38 AM
Craig Watts

User wrote:
I''m looking for some water tanks to use as a cistern for watering a lawn
this fall. Previously in this group people have posted information on where
to find used 55 gal drums.
If someone could point me in the direction of some 55 gal or larger
containers that would be suitable for holding water, and could be gotten
free or cheap, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has one of those huge
inflatable pools that holds about 1000 gallons that they want to chuck for
liability reasons, that would work, too.
Thank you,
Ruben

There has always been a guy selling 55 gal. drums off of 401 North. Up
past Fox Road, Before Mitchel Mill and the Nuese bridge on your left
going out of town.

Good luck

Craig
Old 10-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Mitch Amiano

I concur with the other poster who wrote about the place up on 401. It
is on the left next to a small church building just after the Food Lion
plaza (as you head north).

I happen to have one of those inflatable pools, and couldn't bring
myself to throw it away when my wife and son said they were done with
it. Heavy vinyl with a baloon ring around the top. Call me at 556-2961
if you're interested. (ask for Mitch)

Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
tomatolord

The cheapest would be to go out to mount olive to the mount olive pickle
company and they will let you take them away for free.

You just have to get them home!

tomatolord

Old 10-09-2005, 10:05 PM

On 2005-09-09, User wrote:
I''m looking for some water tanks to use as a cistern for watering a lawn
this fall. Previously in this group people have posted information on where
to find used 55 gal drums.
If someone could point me in the direction of some 55 gal or larger
containers that would be suitable for holding water, and could be gotten
free or cheap, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has one of those huge
inflatable pools that holds about 1000 gallons that they want to chuck for
liability reasons, that would work, too.
Thank you,
Ruben

Have you checked with AgriSupply to see what a large 500-1000 gallon
tank would cost? It might suprise you and you don't have to connect
them together. Or even a large stock watering tank for that matter may
work. Remember to screen for mosquitoes or use the dunks. Those
suckers can breed longer than you may think in the fall.

is a garbage address.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Baine Carruthers

Ruben

I would be curious about how you will use these and the setup you are
contemplating.

--
Baine

Old 14-09-2005, 05:30 PM
User

I've had more than one peson ask me this, so, in a nutshell:

1. Take your water containers (55 gal drums, swimming pools, buckets,
whatever you have, I happen to be using a big inflatable pool and a couple
100 gal drums right now) and link them in series. (I link mine together
with garden hose using negative water pressure for transport)
2. Wait for it to rain. (yesterday was not rain, in case you were wondering)
3. Submerge your 1/4 hp sump pump, suitably screened and filtered, into your
back yard drainage creek and fill your water containers from it.
4. Submerge your sump pump into your water containers and connect it to your
sprinkler system.
5. Water lawn.

Why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing? I have city water, and
no well, so I pay for the water I use. Planting and establishing a lawn
will increase my water usage by almost an order of magnitude if I water only
once per day. I have had good luck watering my (large) flower garden
directly from my drainage creek using the sump pump. So the plan is to
water my newly seeded lawn from the creek until it gets too low, and then to
use the water stored in the water containers during dry spells, and only
after that is used, water with city water. I haven't paid anything for my
"cistern" yet, outside of time and gas. It seems to be a cheap and
environmentally friendly way to make better use of runoff water than taxing
our municipal water resources. Best of all, with the collapsible pool, I
can put it away after I'm done for the year.
Hope that helps
Ruben

Old 14-09-2005, 11:32 PM
tomatolord

Mr sandwich...

go to walmart and look in their discount toy section

They are dumping all of their summer stock of stuff - I saw some pool liners
and other pool stuff there yesterday - probably try toysrus too and pick and
end of season pool cheap

Tomatolord

"User" wrote in message
I''m looking for some water tanks to use as a cistern for watering a
lawn
this fall. Previously in this group people have posted information on

where
to find used 55 gal drums.
If someone could point me in the direction of some 55 gal or larger
containers that would be suitable for holding water, and could be gotten
free or cheap, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has one of those

huge
inflatable pools that holds about 1000 gallons that they want to chuck
for
liability reasons, that would work, too.
Thank you,
Ruben

GROWING POTATOES IN DRUMS? ROBERT O'REILLY Edible Gardening 14 28-05-2012 03:21 AM
Cheap plastic drums for sale on craigslist Gary Brady[_3_] Texas 0 07-03-2009 02:54 PM
Drums - 7 pc TAMA SwingStars jim wheeler North Carolina 1 16-11-2003 02:12 PM
Distant Drums Fall 2003 Shiva Roses 9 03-11-2003 06:13 AM
Distant Drums' First Fall Shiva Roses 4 16-10-2003 01:12 AM