Old 20-09-2005, 07:24 PM
E Gregory

Default help with caterpillar ID please

Hello, I found this big fellow munching on an azalea in my yard this
past weekend. Can anyone help me with ID? The closest thing I've seen
on the internet so far is the Imperial Moth larvae. I've been watching
it evey day since finding it. I love these things!!!
Pics at

http://www.unc.edu/~uepmeg/caterpillar/

Thanks,
Eileen
Old 20-09-2005, 07:28 PM
E Gregory

E Gregory wrote:
Hello, I found this big fellow munching on an azalea in my yard this
past weekend. Can anyone help me with ID? The closest thing I've seen
on the internet so far is the Imperial Moth larvae. I've been watching
it evey day since finding it. I love these things!!!
Pics at

http://www.unc.edu/~uepmeg/caterpillar/

Thanks,
Eileen

I forgot to mention, it's about 4 inches long!
Old 22-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Woozy

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:24:55 -0400, E Gregory
wrote:

Hello, I found this big fellow munching on an azalea in my yard this
past weekend. Can anyone help me with ID? The closest thing I've seen
on the internet so far is the Imperial Moth larvae. I've been watching
it evey day since finding it. I love these things!!!
Pics at

http://www.unc.edu/~uepmeg/caterpillar/

Thanks,
Eileen

Definitely looks like an Imperial to me -- they can be either green or
brown.

kj
Old 25-09-2005, 06:14 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

On 9/19 in alt.binaries.pictures.animals a well-known nature photographer,
John White, posted a picture of an Imperial caterpillar. His is almost
olive, but how does it compare to yours, otherwise? John is very precise in
his identifications, he doesn't guess.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)