Old 14-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Siouxzi

Default Wanted: Cord of good firewood

Getting ready for winter and planning to use my fireplace a lot. I
have a truck so I could pick up, but delivery would be nice too.
Prefer hardwood, pre-chopped--I'm no good wielding an axe.

I live in NW Raleigh (off I-540 at Leesville).
Sue
tel. 870-0050
Old 15-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Craig Watts

Siouxzi wrote:
Getting ready for winter and planning to use my fireplace a lot. I
have a truck so I could pick up, but delivery would be nice too.
Prefer hardwood, pre-chopped--I'm no good wielding an axe.

I live in NW Raleigh (off I-540 at Leesville).
Sue
tel. 870-0050

Try a tree service. I know Quinton Leonard of Apex Tree has a stack in
his back yard.

Craig
Old 15-10-2005, 04:50 AM
Brent Harsh

Craig Watts wrote:
Siouxzi wrote:

Getting ready for winter and planning to use my fireplace a lot. I
have a truck so I could pick up, but delivery would be nice too.
Prefer hardwood, pre-chopped--I'm no good wielding an axe.

Try a tree service. I know Quinton Leonard of Apex Tree has a stack in
his back yard.

Good recommendation; a friend just had an oak taken down and the
tree service would have charged him more if they left the wood
this time! He'd had other trees taken down in past years that I
got lots of wood from, but it seems like they're jumping on the
potential fuel shortages...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.
Old 17-10-2005, 10:48 PM

On 2005-10-14, Siouxzi wrote:
Getting ready for winter and planning to use my fireplace a lot. I
have a truck so I could pick up, but delivery would be nice too.
Prefer hardwood, pre-chopped--I'm no good wielding an axe.

I live in NW Raleigh (off I-540 at Leesville).
Sue
tel. 870-0050

Be sure you know how much is in a cord. It is a stack of wood
4x4x8feet. it is neatly stacked to maximize the amount of wood. That
would be roughly a full size 8 foot pickup bed stacked at least 3 feet
tall assuming the bed is 5 feet wide. Actually that would be 120 cu ft
while 128 is the correct volume. so make that 3 and a half feet.

Most people selling it cross stack it to a full truck takes less wood
and most don't use sideboards so at best you are getting a face cord
which is 4 x 8 and what ever length the cut pieces are.

Caveat Emptor is the watch word. The pulpwood company near the
fairgrounds on hillsborough street used to sell it. You want it to be
dry or let it airdry a few months yourself. You want to keep it covered
and you DON'T want to stack it next to your house because of insects.
Particularly roaches.

is a garbage address.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Tony Cottle

Firewood is available at the North Carolina State Farmer's Market all season
long.
Not sure when the season starts but am sure that it will be soon.

Also, find great plants and fresh veggies.

Check out Earthworks in the center of the farmer's building. We have nice
1-gallon landscape plants for $4 each. $3 each for heirloom Chrysanthemums.

Tony

Tony