Old 09-12-2005, 12:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens
chuckie

Default Heating

I am hoping to grow plants with hydroponics starting in January. My
problem is that my greenhouse does not hold heat very well. I have
tried methods like hanging fans from the ceiling to pull the heat back
down to the floor. This works but not well enough if it is 30F outside,
the house is at 55F.
I have no duct work run because of my limited budget. I have the house
insulated. It has a 10000 BTU propane heater and it seems that all of
the heat escapes out of the top of the greenhouse. It is a clearspan
greenhouse.
I need to reside at 70F.
Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
www.clearspan.com
www.teksuppy.com
www.farmtek.com

All or nothing is the wrong approach.
Chuckie

Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Jack Anderson

"chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am hoping to grow plants with hydroponics starting in January. My
problem is that my greenhouse does not hold heat very well. I have
tried methods like hanging fans from the ceiling to pull the heat back
down to the floor. This works but not well enough if it is 30F outside,
the house is at 55F.
I have no duct work run because of my limited budget. I have the house
insulated. It has a 10000 BTU propane heater and it seems that all of
the heat escapes out of the top of the greenhouse. It is a clearspan
greenhouse.
I need to reside at 70F.
Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
www.clearspan.com
www.teksuppy.com
www.farmtek.com

All or nothing is the wrong approach.
Chuckie

I've heard of people placing a 55 gallon drum painted black and filled with
water in the center of the greenhouse. The drum is supposed to collect heat
during the day and radiate at night. I don't have any personal experience
with this method, but it might help.
good luck
Jack

Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Steve

In article .com,
chuckie wrote:
My problem is that my greenhouse does not hold heat very well.

How big is the greenhouse and what is it made of? For at delta T of 40
degrees (70 inside, 30 outside), a 10,000 BTU/hour heater should be
adequate for a structure with 200 - 300 sq feet of surface area
depending on the material it is made from. That's like a 6x12 quonset.
Bigger if it is insulated like yours.

Also, what is the variation in temperature inside the greenhouse? If
you are getting a lot of solar gain during the day, but loosing it at
night, then you need to add thermal mass (rocks, bricks, barrels of
water, etc.)

--
Steve