Old 18-12-2005, 03:48 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Tom Desmond

Default help identify a shrub/tree

Please help me identify this common triangle shrub. I believe this plant
most often takes the form of a dense, six foot high or so shrub, but it can
also grow to tree height. I've only seen it as a multiple, twisted-trunked
plant, but it may take other forms as well. Its leaves don't fall off
during winter, and are about three inches long, smooth edged and sharp
tipped, and dark glossy green on top and dull light green beneath. They are
folded slightly upward along their central spines and grow from their stems
in pairs from a single node. This plant gives small purple berries that
grow in clusters at the ends of the stems. The birds eat them. The bark is
freckled with small bumps, but otherwise smooth. It grows along with
mulberry trees and pecan trees. I especially like this tree becasue it's
pretty, stays green all year, and seems to thrive in my yard. I hope to
plant some more of them. Any ideas of what it is? Can I propigate it from
its berries?

Tom

Old 19-12-2005, 05:14 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Steve

In article ,
Tom Desmond wrote:
Please help me identify this common triangle shrub.

Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense)? If so, please don't try to propogate
it. It does more then well enough on its own.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...gi&symbol=LISI

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=3035

--
Steve

Old 19-12-2005, 06:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Tom Desmond

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the pictures on your link, and my
plant of interest looks like a Japanese privet. On the bottom of that page
was a propigation recommentation that said "Stratify the seeds for 3 months
at the bottom of your fridge." Could some kind person please tell me what
that means?

Tom

Old 19-12-2005, 08:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens
bud

If you really want some come and dig them up out of my yard. They are a
pain in the you know where. But then again I never have liked those plants
because the blooms have the sent of dog pee in the spring.

I would recommend maybe buying a chindo vibernum or any of the evergreen
vibernums. That would be a pretty substitute.

"Tom Desmond" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the pictures on your link, and my
plant of interest looks like a Japanese privet. On the bottom of that
page was a propigation recommentation that said "Stratify the seeds for 3
months at the bottom of your fridge." Could some kind person please tell
me what that means?

Tom

Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 AM posted to triangle.gardens
whatsup!

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:11:33 -0500, "Tom Desmond"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at the pictures on your link, and my
plant of interest looks like a Japanese privet. On the bottom of that page
was a propigation recommentation that said "Stratify the seeds for 3 months
at the bottom of your fridge." Could some kind person please tell me what
that means?

Tom

Steve" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Desmond wrote:
Please help me identify this common triangle shrub.

Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense)? If so, please don't try to propogate
it. It does more then well enough on its own.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...gi&symbol=LISI

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=3035

--
Steve

Tom:
When seeds need to be stratified they need to experience a period of
cold temps before they will germinate. Iris's are like that. Usually
you can put them in a plastic baggie and keep in the frig for a month
or more (cold/dry).

If you are trying to grow Japanese Privet, look out. They can quickly
become an obnoxious planting and be invasive. My parents made two
lines of hedges when they first moved into their house in 1965. Dad
had to trim them weekly almost in the growing season to keep them in
check til about 2000 when his health started to go bad. They were dug
up and privets volunteered in an area of 3 feet to both sides of the
original position. Mowed down, pulled up, sprayed...they return.

I knew a guy that had a corner lot with an established privet hedge
that was about four feet inside the property from the road. This was
about 10 years ago and he wanted to remove it. He chainsawed it to
ground level. It grew faster. He dug it up making a 3 foot deep trench
where the hedge had been. He filled the trench with fresh topsoil. The
hedge started to grow back. He used several herbicides, it returned.
he redug the trench, filled it with gasoline and lit it (not
reccomended, forbidden by EPA too). He finally eradicated the hedge
but nothing would grow in that area for almost three years.He would
even plant flowers and other landscaping items but they would quickly
die.

So plan to be with them for some time!

whatsup!