Old 26-12-2005, 03:49 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Mouse

Default Where to get Nandina Domestica

I'm looking for Nandina Domestica. I don't want any of the berryless
dwarf varieties, but the "original" variety that produces the beautiful
red berries in autumn that last into the winter. So far, I've had no
luck at any of the nurserys I've stopped at. I COULD take cuttings
from some growing at my church in the Spring, but everyone I've talked
to says they transplant best in the Fall and Winter, and I'd like to
try to plant some now. Does anyone know of a source of these in the
area?

Old 14-01-2006, 02:53 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Tom J

"Mouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for Nandina Domestica. I don't want any of the
berryless
dwarf varieties, but the "original" variety that produces the
beautiful
red berries in autumn that last into the winter. So far, I've had
no
luck at any of the nurserys I've stopped at. I COULD take cuttings
from some growing at my church in the Spring, but everyone I've
talked
to says they transplant best in the Fall and Winter, and I'd like to
try to plant some now. Does anyone know of a source of these in the
area?

Wait until almost the end of frost season in your area. Then cut out
some of the tall stems at the church. Cut them into 12" pieces and
push them into the soil where you want plants. Next year this time you
may have to plant 1 or 2 that didn't root and grow. Stick 3 or 4 2 or
3 inches apart for a thicker bunch. If you lived near me in GA you
could get 100 one year old plants and I'd never miss them, all started
from sticking the stems in the soil. ;-)

Tom J