Old 09-01-2006, 02:12 AM posted to triangle.gardens
jim frei

Default need a few cold-hardy fish & plants

I'm installing a 6'x8' pond, and I would like to acquire a few fish and
water plants that are already acclimated to the current temps.

Any suggestions?

--
---

jim frei
http://www.stormwatergroup.com

Old 09-01-2006, 07:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-01-09, jim frei wrote:
I'm installing a 6'x8' pond, and I would like to acquire a few fish and
water plants that are already acclimated to the current temps.

Any suggestions?

Garden Supply in Cary used to have them in outdoor tanks. NOt sure if
they still have them.

is a garbage address.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Doc Muhlbaier

You may also need a net. If your fish disappear, you have a blue heron in
your neighborhood (It's cleaned out every pond near Croasdaile Golf Course
in Durham!).

Doc Muhlbaier
duke
. ..

Old 13-02-2006, 03:37 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Lee

My sister lives near the Eno River State Park and she and her husband
watched in disbelief as a blue heron swooped out of nowhere and stole their
last fish. They thought a raccoon had been eating them! Now she wants me to
give her some of mine. I have about 30 - 40 living in a very small 4 x 6
pond and need to thin them out, but not to be eaten a predator.

Any suggestions on how to get / keep leaves out of my pond? It sits beneath
a huge hickory, two oaks and an ash. Previous owners put it there; not me.

"Doc Muhlbaier" wrote in message
You may also need a net. If your fish disappear, you have a blue heron in
your neighborhood (It's cleaned out every pond near Croasdaile Golf

Course
in Durham!).

Doc Muhlbaier
duke
. ..

Old 18-02-2006, 08:30 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Lee dont forget overhangs!!!

The problem with herons is the fish have no where to hide,

you have to have a place for the fish to dart into and stay there out of
site. Many people build ponds like a bath tub straight sides and few plants
here and there.

As far as plants are concerned - it will be hard to get them this time of
year becuase it is so out of season, besided you do not really need them
yet.

Fish I would transissiom them from a warm house, to a cool garage, to
outside to the pond.

Dont forget to NOT feed them once they are in the pond, the cold water
causes them to go dormant.

A great pond plant is impatiens put them right in the pond, I put mine in
the fountain on top.

tlord
"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 25-02-2006, 07:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Rob Sauerwalt

leaves - I made a "net cover" by stringing together strips of plastic
fencing with twine. I just cut the 3 ft wide fence into strips the right
length to cross the pond, and then where the two sides met, I weaved the
twine between the openings.

at first I laid some of those green plastic stakes across the pond to hold
the net up, but last year I just "re-wove" the seams, and put the stakes
right into the seam

works great, now I just roll it up and stick it under the house during the
season

drop me a note if you have any questions, or need help.

I put the net up after I lost all my fish to a heron a few years ago, but it
does great with keeping leaves and gumball/pinecones out.

A plus is that I can feed the fish by just throwing the food on the net and
it drops through! (great in the beginning and end of cold season when I'm
still feeding)

. ..

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim frei
I'm installing a 6'x8' pond, and I would like to acquire a few fish and
water plants that are already acclimated to the current temps.
Any suggestions?
jim frei
http://www.stormwatergroup.com
A few goldfish and shubunkins are quite suitable for a small pond, take care to make sure not too many.

Any small hardy water lily should cope, any of the small growing hardy marginal aquatic plants, too.

6'x8' is a dinky size, be careful not to put any big growing aggressive plants in or you will find the pond will fill itself in with old foliage in just a couple of years

Small varieties, with restrained growing habits would be way to go

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html