Old 25-01-2006, 03:46 AM posted to triangle.gardens
ncstockguy

Default looking for a fast growing evergreen that grows well in shade...

Hi,
We need to grow an evergreen screen across our back yard. Prefer a fast
growing shrub that will do OK in shade because there are quite a few
tall deciduous shade trees in the area. Does any one know if Wax
Myrtle would work in this situation? Would appreciate comments from
anyone with experience with it. Also welcome other suggestions for a
good fast growing evergreen. (We're not interested in Leyland Cypress)
Thanks

Old 25-01-2006, 07:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-01-25, ncstockguy wrote:
Hi,
We need to grow an evergreen screen across our back yard. Prefer a fast
growing shrub that will do OK in shade because there are quite a few
tall deciduous shade trees in the area. Does any one know if Wax
Myrtle would work in this situation? Would appreciate comments from
anyone with experience with it. Also welcome other suggestions for a
good fast growing evergreen. (We're not interested in Leyland Cypress)
Thanks

I am not sure of how fast you really want. Here is one to consider:

Chindo viburnum (V. awabuki "Chindo"): This handsome, shiny, broadleaf
evergreen has been an exciting shrub to watch for the past three growing
seasons. I wasn't sure how it would perform. A fast growing native shrub
of Japan and Korea, it has proven to be a much hardier evergreen than I
thought in protected sun and shade. Do not install this plant in the
open without winter protection or it will experience winter browning.
But you can simply prune the brown stems and the plant renews its
exceptionally shiny tropical-looking foliage dependably. They grow 15
feet high and wide in warmer zones, but I'd keep them at about six feet
by selective spring pruning. Anchor the corner of your house or soften
the corners of a walled garden with several plants.

is a garbage address.
Old 26-01-2006, 12:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens
fernvalley

I second Wes' recommendation. We put in chindos several years ago to
replace red tips (photinas). The redtips screened off the woodpile/work
area of the backyear but suffered from a blight/fungus. The chindos are
now about 15 high...haven't had one bit of problems with them.

Old 29-01-2006, 03:13 PM posted to triangle.gardens
ncstockguy

Thanks folks. We will check the Chindos out. They sound very close to
what we are looking for.
Cheers
NC

Old 29-01-2006, 09:28 PM posted to triangle.gardens
InterNut

I have the same situation and need. However, I prefer to plants native to
this area. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

. ..

Old 30-01-2006, 09:30 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-01-29, InterNut wrote:
I have the same situation and need. However, I prefer to plants native to
this area. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a place to start.

http://www.ncwildflower.org/natives/sources.htm

. ..

Old 01-02-2006, 01:59 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Dieseldog

Is the Chindo viburnum readily available in the triangle area?

wrote:
|| On 2006-01-25, ncstockguy wrote:
||| Hi,
||| We need to grow an evergreen screen across our back yard. Prefer a
||| fast growing shrub that will do OK in shade because there are quite
||| a few tall deciduous shade trees in the area. Does any one know if
||| Wax Myrtle would work in this situation? Would appreciate comments
||| from anyone with experience with it. Also welcome other
||| suggestions for a good fast growing evergreen. (We're not
||| interested in Leyland Cypress) Thanks
|| I am not sure of how fast you really want. Here is one to consider:
|| Chindo viburnum (V. awabuki "Chindo"): This handsome, shiny,
|| broadleaf evergreen has been an exciting shrub to watch for the past
|| three growing seasons. I wasn't sure how it would perform. A fast
|| growing native shrub of Japan and Korea, it has proven to be a much
|| hardier evergreen than I thought in protected sun and shade. Do not
|| install this plant in the open without winter protection or it will
|| experience winter browning. But you can simply prune the brown stems
|| and the plant renews its exceptionally shiny tropical-looking
|| foliage dependably. They grow 15 feet high and wide in warmer zones,
|| but I'd keep them at about six feet by selective spring pruning.
|| Anchor the corner of your house or soften the corners of a walled
|| garden with several plants.
|| --
|| Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
|| please.
is a garbage address.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-02-01, Dieseldog wrote:
Is the Chindo viburnum readily available in the triangle area?

It seems to be pretty popular. Most nurseries or garden centers
probably have some or can get them easily.

wrote:
|| On 2006-01-25, ncstockguy wrote:
||| Hi,
||| We need to grow an evergreen screen across our back yard. Prefer a
||| fast growing shrub that will do OK in shade because there are quite
||| a few tall deciduous shade trees in the area. Does any one know if
||| Wax Myrtle would work in this situation? Would appreciate comments
||| from anyone with experience with it. Also welcome other
||| suggestions for a good fast growing evergreen. (We're not
||| interested in Leyland Cypress) Thanks
|| I am not sure of how fast you really want. Here is one to consider:
|| Chindo viburnum (V. awabuki "Chindo"): This handsome, shiny,
|| broadleaf evergreen has been an exciting shrub to watch for the past
|| three growing seasons. I wasn't sure how it would perform. A fast
|| growing native shrub of Japan and Korea, it has proven to be a much
|| hardier evergreen than I thought in protected sun and shade. Do not
|| install this plant in the open without winter protection or it will
|| experience winter browning. But you can simply prune the brown stems
|| and the plant renews its exceptionally shiny tropical-looking
|| foliage dependably. They grow 15 feet high and wide in warmer zones,
|| but I'd keep them at about six feet by selective spring pruning.
|| Anchor the corner of your house or soften the corners of a walled
|| garden with several plants.
|| --
|| Wes Dukes (wdukes.pobox@com) Swap the . and the @ to email me
|| please.
is a garbage address.

is a garbage address.

Evergreen tree Arborvitae, Degroots Spire how fast it grows? [email protected] Gardening 1 23-09-2007 04:21 PM
Fast growing evergreen pixi Gardening 3 09-01-2005 12:08 PM
Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions AndreaL United Kingdom 9 15-10-2003 01:02 PM
red clover grows whereever white clover grows P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 7 04-08-2003 09:02 PM
Fast Growing Shade Tolerant Evergreen H United Kingdom 1 26-01-2003 12:48 PM