Old 27-01-2006, 10:29 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Default O/T Rules for burning in Wake County?

Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for burning yard waste
in Wake County (not in a city)???

I don't know *what* the neighbors are burning, but it smells smoky here
inside my house (which is another area of concern).

Thanks,

Anne Lurie

Old 28-01-2006, 12:45 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Tom J

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for burning
yard waste in Wake County (not in a city)???

http://www.wakegov.com/contact/
I'd guess if anyone knows, it would be Wake County Government. Just
ask them to phone you about trash burning so you can tell a live
person the whole story.

Tom J

Old 28-01-2006, 02:28 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Dan Becker

In article , Anne Lurie
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for burning yard waste
in Wake County (not in a city)???

There is a draft ordinance here, but I can't find anywhere that tells
whether it was adopted:
http://www.wakegov.com/agendas/novem...1ordinance.htm

At the bottom of page 2 of this document, it says the state regulates
open burning:
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...5-D029534D3DB5
/0/WCRecommendedAirQualityControls.pdf

Same kind of language he
http://www.wakegov.com/emergency/fire/permitsforms.htm

This link takes you to the state regs:
http://daq.state.nc.us/enf/openburn/

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 29-01-2006, 01:39 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Mark Robinson

When I called the Wendell fire dept they said that you are supposed to get a
burning permit. If you don't and someone complains then they will make you
put it out

Hope this helps. Call your local fire department - they should know.

Mark

news

Old 14-02-2006, 02:22 AM posted to triangle.gardens

If you are in the county NO RULES BABY - ya gotta love the south!!

I am sure there are basic rules, about being in control of the flame, not
letting it burn more then 24 hours etc.

If you are in the cities then there are rules.

I live right next to the city and the new raleighites call the fire dept who
have now started to ask "is this in Lake anne?" then they explain the rules
to them.

Tomatolod
news

Old 16-02-2006, 12:38 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Margaret Lillard

wrote:
If you are in the county NO RULES BABY - ya gotta love the south!!

Um... you've got to have a permit, according to the county and state:

The Wake County gov't site says:

"Open burning is regulated by the North Carolina Department of
Environment and Natural Resources (NCDENR). For information regarding
burning bans, burning restrictions, and to obtain burning permits in the
rural areas of Wake County, contact the North Carolina Forest Service at
919.212.7356. For information regarding what items can be legally
burned and other air quality issues, contact the Division of Air Quality
at 919.571.4700."

See:
http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/speci...ingpermits.htm

The state Forest Service site quotes state law (Wake is classified as a
"non-hazardous" county, btw):

"(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to start or cause to
be started any fire or ignite any material in any woodland under
the protection of the Department or within 500 feet of any such
woodland during the hours starting at midnight and ending at
4:00 P.M. without first obtaining a permit from the Department.
Permits may be obtained from forest rangers or other agents
authorized by the forest ranger to issue such permits in the
county in which the fire is to be started. Such permits shall be
issued by the ranger or other agent unless permits for the area
in question have been prohibited or cancelled under G.S.
113-60.25 or 113-60.27. (1981, c. 1100, s. 2.)"

Wake County permit offices are at:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/contacts/wake.htm

or you can apply for the permit online at:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/burn_perm..._nonhazard.asp

MAL

I am sure there are basic rules, about being in control of the flame, not
letting it burn more then 24 hours etc.

If you are in the cities then there are rules.

I live right next to the city and the new raleighites call the fire dept who
have now started to ask "is this in Lake anne?" then they explain the rules
to them.

Tomatolod
news

Old 16-02-2006, 01:16 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Thanks, Margaret!

I will check out the links. Plus, I still have hope that the Wake County
"contact" I emailed almost 3 weeks ago might actually respond to me.......
someday.

Anne

"Margaret Lillard" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
[...]

news

Old 16-02-2006, 01:32 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

A follow-up to my own reply!

According to http://daq.state.nc.us/enf/openburn/ob_faqs_new.shtml, (page
3):

"Q: My neighbor thinks my yard waste burning stinks. Is this considered a
nuisance and can I be prohibited from open burning solely because he/she
objects to the odor?
A. No.

Q: My neighbor is getting ashes from my yard waste burning in his/her
swimming pool. Is it considered a nuisance and can I be prohibited from open
burning solely because of this?

A. Yes"

Maybe I can claim my water garden as a swimming pool -- after all, there
are living things swimming in it! At the moment, two goldfish and one very
hardy frog.

Anne

wrote:
[...]

news

Old 16-02-2006, 02:15 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Sandie Hudson

I think you can burn in the counties between 4 and midnight
without a permit. A neighbor sent someone to check on us once and
that is what we were doing. They just checked to make sure
weren't burning tires or plastic or other no-nos and then said we
were fine.

Sandie

wrote:
[...]

news

Old 17-02-2006, 05:05 PM posted to triangle.gardens
dookie

legal in orange cty, fer sure...but be careful!

leaving for some errands the other day, a small farm i regularly drive past
was burning away. upon my return, there were firetrucks in the yard and
underbrush burned away 50ft into the woods. oops.

i'm enveloped in trees myself and don't have anywhere i'd feel safe doing
this...and as a result i have a huge brush pile. would if i could!

$0.02,

dookie

wrote in message
If you are in the county NO RULES BABY - ya gotta love the south!!

I am sure there are basic rules, about being in control of the flame, not
letting it burn more then 24 hours etc.

If you are in the cities then there are rules.

I live right next to the city and the new raleighites call the fire dept
who have now started to ask "is this in Lake anne?" then they explain the
rules to them.

Tomatolod
news

Old 18-02-2006, 07:24 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Ok state woodlands are off limits - since not too many people live near them
in wake county (actually my BIL lives right next to umstead and the rangers
there have never said anything to him and he burns all of the time)

The wake county rules are very lax...

Basically
fire has to be attended
not within 50 feet of a structure
no hazardous materials

You still are responsible if it gets out of control and burns other stuff
down

Those burn permits are for commercial people - builders who want to burn the
stumps in a pile NOT for homeowners.

Time and time again the "city" people call on people in our neighborhood all
of the time and no one has ever been told they need a burn permit.

tomatolord

wrote:
[...]

news

Old 18-01-2010, 04:43 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Lurie View Post
Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for burning yard waste
in Wake County (not in a city)???

I don't know *what* the neighbors are burning, but it smells smoky here
inside my house (which is another area of concern).

Thanks,

Anne Lurie
Here is a link to the article,
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...rticle_4C.html
also the people burning stuff need a permit,
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/burn_perm...n_standard.asp
but in wake county the fire must not be a nuisance to the public so if you complain im pretty sure they will have to put it out.

From,
NCRedneck
Old 27-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Lurie View Post
Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for burning yard waste
in Wake County (not in a city)???

I don't know *what* the neighbors are burning, but it smells smoky here
inside my house (which is another area of concern).

Thanks,

Anne Lurie
Anne, did you find out anymore information about burning in Wake County or the Ordinance that you mentioned. I did not even see the ordinance on that page and from the other pages, Air Quality, etc.. it seems like the residents that choose not to burn and would like to smell fresh air don't have any rights. Especially since it says that odor is not considered a nuisance. What about the air filled with smoke or people who already have breathing problems? I would like to start an ordinance of my own or petition or something. It has become unbearable here with my neighbors burning their leaves. My entire house smells like smoke. It is in absolutely everything and I have asked them politely not to do it and even offered my yard and natural areas for them to dump their leaves but they just seem to love burning them and disrespecting their neighbors right to clean air.
You can email me
Thanks,
Amory