Old 24-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Soil question

In article , dpaul wrote:
"MJC" wrote in message
The best place in my yard to burn a bunch of yard depris is in the garden
area. Is this a good or bad idea? It hasn't been tilled yet this spring
and if it doesn't stop raining I 'm not sure it ever will be ) so any of
the char would be tilled into the soil.
MJ

I was reading about composting recently and the site recommended against
using fireplace ashes in the compost heap because it would do something bad
to the pH level of the resulting soil.

I'm sure it depends on how much you burn and how often (and how big your
garden is).

Years ago I burned a heck of a pile of debris in my back yard in Cary
no less (circa 1980) I am talking 8 feet high and 15-20 across. I
spread the ashes over the whole 2000 sqft garden and did not have a
problem when I tilled them in. It was mostly clay which is very acid,
and ashes are alkaline (you can use them to get lye water for soap) so
yes it could have a short term effect of taking the ph too much of a
base especially if you added lime too.
Drake

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)