Old 24-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Elizabeth

Default Wanted: Free scrub trees...will remove from your property

Hey Tom,

While I don't have trees for you (in fact, I'm dealing with the same
problem), I have a suggestion. The Arbor Day Foundation sends free tree
seedlings for a $10 contribution. I just received and planted my 10 trees.
They are all flowering ornamentals that are starting to bud and leaf out
already. See their website: http://www.arborday.org. I think they are
offering other free stuff too.

Elizabeth

"Tom" wrote in message
Here's the situation. I was born and raised in NC, and every home I
lived in growing up had a nice wooded lot. Then I went out and bought
my first home, in a modern subdivision built on what was a farm. Now I
have a flat, treeless (except for the ubiquitous two bradford pears
dropped in by the developer) 1/2 acre lot...and I hate it. Love the
house, hate opening the back door and seeing ten different neighbors.
So I've decided I need to plant trees. I've planted a couple Japanese
red maples (about 4 foot tall now) two granny smith apples, and a
wisconsin weeping willow. I want more. And I wouldn't mind planting
some native trees that I grew up with.

I see all these properties around wake county with hundreds upon
hundreds of what I call "Scrub" trees. 3 to four foot saplings, mostly
pines, some hardwoods. If you have similar trees on your property and
wouldn't mind someone digging up say, ten or so, and hauling them
away, please let me know.

Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Tom Gauldin

The digging up of a non-cultivated tree usually destroys too many roots,
IMHO. I'd recommend getting cultivated trees, which would probably have a
better root system in the bucket or ball form.

If you want native trees, consider getting some redbuds, dogwoods or tree
azaleas like the Cumberland or Pinksterbloom. The problem would be that
these are typically understory trees, requiring shade.

Around here, the best shade tree I've ever seen is the California
Peppercorn. We inherited 5 planted across the back of our lot in Las Vegas,
and you almost need a whip and a chair to control their growth. Besides a
pleasant herbal smell and little peppercorns, they have dense foliage like a
willow, and "weep." I had to top ours last fall, since they were beginning
to obscure the view of the Strip from the bedroom's balcony. Within 8
weeks, I was again trimming off more top growth.

Perhaps someone who knows trees well can flesh out my comments on the
California Peppercorn tree, but IMHO, they'd make one heck of a good tree
for the Raleigh area as well, if they can stand the winters.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

rthlink.net...

Old 24-03-2003, 09:32 PM
C G

I'd recommend against trying to transplant native "scrub" trees. You'd
be better off developing a plan for your yard. You can go with trees
which are native, but select a variety which will give you better
characteristics than a scrub you get in the woods. If you stick with
fairly standard trees you could go to a place like Broadwells and get
all you need for a VERY reasonable price. In the long run this will
give you much better results.

If you insist on going the transplant route, your best results are going
to be to select the trees in the late summer. Tag them while they still
have leaves, and then transplant them after they've gone dormant. This
is a bad time to transplant because they are just starting to grow.
they will not have enough time to send out roots.

Chuck

Old 27-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Uh-oh! I couldn't find much about California Peppercorn except for the
German (?) website that Tom mentions in a subsequent post -- where the
tree is identified as "S. Molles" I think.

When I googled, however, for "California Peppertree," the first website that
showed up was http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/schimoll.html, which is a
Nature Conservancy listing for invasive species, sigh.... (sorry, Tom)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 27-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Anne Lurie

Another Peppertree website that I forgot to include in my earlier reply:
http://www.rain-tree.com/peppertree.htm

Anne Lurie

Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Joan Polleys

If you would kind sir please post a link or two to get me started.

"Doctoroe" wrote in message
om...
Actually most native NC trees do quite well if you dig them up and
transplant them while they are still dormant. I have successfully
done this numerous times and not lost a single plant. All you need to
do is dig them out with a decent sized root ball and plant em quickly
in a good sized hole, and of course water a bit the first summer. You
can also get great trees from cuttings. I've got a bunch of live
oaks, willows, crape myrtles growing in the shade of the back yard
right now from cuttings... there are several web sites with good
information how to do this. I've been surprised at how easy it is with
most trees.