Old 27-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Default protection

In article , Raleighgirl wrote:
Hiya.
The hubbie is taking over the garden this year. Yippeee. Except
that he wants to use chemicals for bugs. : Anyway, I'm trying
to get him to put up a fence rather than poison to control the
rabbits. Will a 2' tall chickenwire fence keep bunnies out?
Also, when you put netting over blueberry bushes, does it need a
framework to hold it away from the plant or do you just drape the
material over the plant? So far it looks like a bumper crop for
my 3 blueberry bushes. I must buy more this year.
Thanks,

Yes 2 foot chickenwire works great for rabbits. Don't recommend poison
as you would have stinking dead rabbits and a bunch still eating the
garden. I put up the 4 corner stakes and stretch the wire as tight as I
can by hand then zig zag extra stakes to tighten it up have to make sure
it has good contact with the ground.

I tried bird netting with blue berries once and the bird leg I found in
the loose netting stopped me from ever doing it again. I suggest a
frame or at least staking it taunt so the loose parts won't act as a
snare trap.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 28-03-2003, 03:20 PM
MAC

Will a 2' tall chickenwire fence keep bunnies out?

Yep. I bought some 2' green fencing for the burning bush in the front
yard, which Peter, Bugs and friends have found very tasty for the last
couple of years. Nothing has chewed on 'em since.

MAC

Protection against the ZOO. Alen Kalati Edible Gardening 3 02-04-2003 12:20 AM
protection Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 29-03-2003 09:08 AM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Need Ideas, fish protection? [email protected] Ponds 3 26-01-2003 01:29 PM
Greenhouse protection? Donegal Paul United Kingdom 4 28-10-2002 08:22 AM