Old 28-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Alycia Budd

Default Squirels

Is there a way to keep squirrels from coming onto my deck and eating
everything? So far, they dug up the tulip bulbs and all dormant
strawberry plants.
Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM

In article , Alycia Budd wrote:
Is there a way to keep squirrels from coming onto my deck and eating
everything? So far, they dug up the tulip bulbs and all dormant
strawberry plants.

Shoot or trap them. Also chicken wire with 1 inch mesh works for bulbs
but not sure how to protect the strawberry plants. Hot pepper spray or
pepper on them and in the ground may help.

They are homing pidgeons with fur so you need to carry the trapped ones
10-20 miles away. preferably across several busy highways and a large
river.

Good luck.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 29-03-2003, 03:44 AM
dookie

a pellet gun works wonders, and won't announce itself to the neighbors.

dookie

Old 31-03-2003, 03:08 PM

I use cats. Three of them. ;-)

Old 31-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Patskywriter

squirrels started coming onto my deck when i put out a (squirrel-proof)
birdfeeder a couple of weeks ago. the poor little things were so frustrated
that i felt sorry for them and started putting out a small bowl of peanuts
every now and then. they're happy now.

when i was living in chicago, i (and my gardening-buddy neighbors) regularly
put out peanuts for the squirrels so they'd stop bothering our crops. worked
like a charm.

pat

Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Patskywriter wrote:
squirrels started coming onto my deck when i put out a (squirrel-proof)

Ha! Define squirrel-proof! I have one that I thought would be
so (one of those plexiglass containers with wire mesh about an inch out
from the surface. The hang from their bottom feet and stick their little
paws into the holes and dig it all out. And they've chewed right through
the plexiglass on one that isn't surrounded with mesh. May I send them to
dine chez vous?

cl, who doesn't believe in squirrel-proof

Old 01-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Patskywriter

well, my squirrel-proof birdfeeder is indeed squirrel-proof. the little fellers
haven't yet figured out how to get to the food! (of course, i could have stupid
squirrels on my property ...) the birdfeeder is a standard tube-type one that's
encased in a steel mesh cage. obviously, your squirrels are more clever than
mine. sorry.

pat
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Patskywriter wrote:
well, my squirrel-proof birdfeeder is indeed squirrel-proof. the little fellers
haven't yet figured out how to get to the food! (of course, i could have stupid
squirrels on my property ...) the birdfeeder is a standard tube-type one that's
encased in a steel mesh cage. obviously, your squirrels are more clever than
mine. sorry.

Yep, mine's the same as yours. I guess I have mensa squirrels,
damn it!

Well, they'll be sorry when I move into a condo in 3 weeks and
take my feeders with me. That'll teach 'em!

cl, who knows very well they'll be telephoning all their Carrboro cousins
to let them know that the free lunch is coming to town